Error installing pkg in jail.

1gonemustang

Cadet
Hello. Although I am new to TrueNAS, I believe I have been around the block several times with similar systems. I have looked around the forums and found similar issues with different root issues, but not quite like this - I think.

I have a system running on a Gigabyte Aorus B550I motherboard with an AMD Risen 5 5600G CPU with 16Gb RAM, 4 x 1Tb drives (test, 4 x 4Tb later) and a 500GB M.2 SSD for the system. All set up well with pools configured and SMB shares established, connected and files transferred. (All set up well other than the RealTek 2.5G NIC not being recognized, so I am using a USB3~GB NIC - a different headache that looks to be discussed in several other threads). I can ping sites across the internet and have successfully ran several tests to verify proper DNS resolution to FreeBSD URLs.

Now, when I went to install Plex I ran into a brick wall... story shortened: After failing in the Wizard, I went to the manual method. I made a new jail (I tried 12.3, 13.0 and 13.1). I went into the shell for all of these instances and entered pkg install plexmediaserver. This immediately told me that the package management tool was not installed, and asked me if I wished to install it. (The package management tool is not yet installed on your system. Do you want to fetch and install it now?) I said Y, of course. ... off it goes to do its work: Bootstrapping pkg from pkg+http://FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/quarterly, please wait ... ... ... ... waiting ... ... Zzz...

Finally it times out and says: pkg: Error fetching http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/quarterly/Latest/pkg.txz: Connection reset by peer(.) A pre-built version of PKG could not be found for your system. Consider changing PACKAGESITE or installing it from ports: 'ports-mgmt/pkg'.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance - of there is another thread on this subject that will resolve this that I have missed, please (gently) point me in the right direction.

Best regards,

Joe L

1gonemustang

Cadet
Hello. Although I am new to TrueNAS, I believe I have been around the block several times with similar systems. I have looked around the forums and found similar issues with different root issues, but not quite like this - I think.

I have a system running on a Gigabyte Aorus B550I motherboard with an AMD Risen 5 5600G CPU with 16Gb RAM, 4 x 1Tb drives (test, 4 x 4Tb later) and a 500GB M.2 SSD for the system. All set up well with pools configured and SMB shares established, connected and files transferred. (All set up well other than the RealTek 2.5G NIC not being recognized, so I am using a USB3~GB NIC - a different headache that looks to be discussed in several other threads). I can ping sites across the internet and have successfully ran several tests to verify proper DNS resolution to FreeBSD URLs.

Now, when I went to install Plex I ran into a brick wall... story shortened: After failing in the Wizard, I went to the manual method. I made a new jail (I tried 12.3, 13.0 and 13.1). I went into the shell for all of these instances and entered pkg install plexmediaserver. This immediately told me that the package management tool was not installed, and asked me if I wished to install it. (The package management tool is not yet installed on your system. Do you want to fetch and install it now?) I said Y, of course. ... off it goes to do its work: Bootstrapping pkg from pkg+http://FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/quarterly, please wait ... ... ... ... waiting ... ... Zzz...

Finally it times out and says: pkg: Error fetching http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/quarterly/Latest/pkg.txz: Connection reset by peer(.) A pre-built version of PKG could not be found for your system. Consider changing PACKAGESITE or installing it from ports: 'ports-mgmt/pkg'.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance - of there is another thread on this subject that will resolve this that I have missed, please (gently) point me in the right direction.

Best regards,

Joe L
Solved. Rebuilt jain in NAT mode and set up. Then switched to static IP. Odd that it has to be done this way.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If you configure the jail with a static IP you also need to set default gateway and DNS server statically. That was probably missing.