Status
Not open for further replies.

rahul

Dabbler
Hi,

I am using a system with the following config:

8 GB Ram, 4 x 3 TB Hard Disk = 12 TB

Freenas Version : FreeNAS-9.2.1.2-RELEASE-x64

It was running fine for almost a month, and just yesterday, I found this error as attached. It is not moving any further beyond the message : enter full pathname of shell or return for /bin/sh

Please guide me what is the problem and how to resolve it.

Thanks....

Attachments

• Error.jpg
    Error.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 971

gpsguy

Did you have a power failure and/or shut it down improperly?

In any event, you boot device (flash drive?) is probably corrupt. I'd do a fresh install of 9.2.1.2x64 again and restore your configuration file to it. If you didn't save your configuration file, you should be able to auto-import your pool, but you'll have to reconfigure shares, etc.

rahul

Dabbler
I guess, my home cleaning boy plugged out the power cable when the server was running. Oh now i got it. So i need to reinstall. I have the configuration file but I saved it a month ago, and after that I have dumped many data files and I don't have a recent configuration file. Just to clarify, If I use the one month old config file that I have, do I be able to get the volume with all data files up to date i.e till yesterday. Please guide.

Let me do it.

Thanks,

gpsguy

Yes. You should be able to auto import the volume and recover the data with or without the configuration file.

I would restore your month old configuration file. If you've added any new shares or enabled additional services, you'll have to redo that work, but you won't have to reconfigure it from scratch.

Sent from my phone

rahul

Dabbler
Thanks!

I haven't added any new shares. It is a single share with the name "Home" and there was a single group " Home" and one user with the name "geo" and password: 12345

I will do the process and I hope I can restore the same using my old config file and if doesn't happen, I will use the Auto import option.

Now I will format my pendrive and reinstall FreeNAS.

Thanks. Let me check...

rahul

Dabbler
Hi...

It worked! I used my old config file and I restored all data up to date...Thanks a lot gpsguy!!

Goodday!

rahul

Dabbler
Hi,

The restored share was fully functional for one day. It was allowing me to read and write. I shutdown the system and when I restarted the system today, I am unable to map my network drive. It is showing the attached message. I again deleted all shares, deleted all users, groups. and formatted the pendrive and reinstalled the freenas. When I booted up I configured the network and auto - import the volume. It was imported successfully. I created the user and the group. Did the windows CIFS share and in the volume set the permissions as Users = nobody , Group = Home, Set permission recursively = checked, as I did earlier and it worked perfectly fine under these settings. When I went to services, I see I cannot start the CIFS service. I restarted, but could not start the CIFS service.

I again tried to restore using the earlier configuration file after deleting all shares, users, groups and detached volumes. When it restarted, it showed CIFS service ON, but I cannot stop it. Even then when I tried to map network drive, it shows the message as attached. and in the Network places also, i cannot see FREENAS, as I have seen always.

Where is the Problem. Please guide me. I am stuck. I am surprised because, even after re configuring and reinstalling FreeNAS, it sud work perfectly fine, even if there was some corruption in the operating system. I can Ping...I can browse the admin page of FreenAS and do all changes, but why am I not able to map the network drive and why it is not showing in the network places.

Please guide.

Attachments

• snap.jpg
    snap.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 828

gpsguy

Previously, you had been using FreeNAS-9.2.1.2-RELEASE-x64. That's what I suggested that your restore to, in my earlier message. Did your install 9.2.1.5? If so, see message #14 in this thread, regarding a patch to fix the issue. Frankly, I'd just go back to 9.2.1.2 for now - the developers are working on 9.2.1.6, to fix more bugs.

You can get older versions here: http://download.freenas.org/

You need to figure out why you are having problems in the first place. If you installed FreeNAS on a no-name flash drive, use a quality name brand. I've been using a Patriot drive for 2+ years without any problems. Use a 4 or 8Gb drive.

rahul

Dabbler
Yes i am still using the same version 9.2.1.2. I am using a Kingston drive 16 GB.

please guide what will be the ultimate solution to my problem with no data loss...

gpsguy

Is this the same flash drive that you had in the beginning? If so, try a new one and put 9.2.1.2 on it.

If it's a new one, do a fresh install of FreeNAS and restore your month old backup or reconfigure it again. I would suggest that as soon as you configure it, save a backup of the configuration.

rahul

Dabbler
Ok..The problem may be due to the pendrive. I will try with a different pendrive.

rahul

Dabbler
No..I have changed the pendrive. But stiil the problem exists...CIFS service could not be started...

Please guide to save the data..

Attachments

• cifs.jpg
    cifs.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 626

rahul

Dabbler
I guess the CIFS service could not be started, that's why, I am not able to map the drive and also FREENAS have disappeared from My Network Places..But I can See my data folders, if I go to Add windows Sharings..Please guide, How to solve this problem.

gpsguy

I read a message via my phone yesterday that discussed the same issue. another poster in that thread also mentioned having had the problem and his problem was due to not checking a CIFS setting. Now, I can't find that thread this morning.

See if you can find it. I have to go to work now.

gpsguy

I found the thread, search for "CIFS won't start". Do you have the setting mentioned in post #4?

Sent from my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.