SOLVED Error duplicate SN adding vdev to pool

Beliall

Dabbler
Hello,
Just add a 2nd HDD to the NAS
I would like to extend the 1st disk or add the 2nd through a vdev.
When i triés i for an error about a duplicate serial number
This duplicate is thé SSd (sda) divide in 2 partition.
1 for the os 1 for Storage.
I add the New disk (sdc) to the sdb pool.
Thats why i do not understand this message error

Is somebody understand why ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220307-003325.png
    Screenshot_20220307-003325.png
    242.1 KB · Views: 194

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
My guess (and I'm forced to since you gave no hardware specs) would be that you're using some kind of USB enclosure with multiple disks, which makes you subject to something like this:

Beliall

Dabbler
Hello,
I am not using any USB at all
Their are 3 drives in SATA on te mother board
All 3 on the same 6bps controler
1 SSD and 2 HDD
HDD are 2 seagate ironwolf and have 2 distinct SN in truenas

SATA Can be see as USB by truenas ?
As i said before the only eccentricity is on the SSD whith 1 partition for truenas OS and a seconde one for Storage use by qbittorent to dl faster

whole hardware configuration :
Motherboard :B85M-G43 4sata 6bps 2sata 3gbps
Proc:i3 4160
Ram: 2x8 1600mhz 2x4 1600mhz
500go SSD 2.5" sata3 sandisk
2x4to seagate ironwolf (no pro)

Last edited:

artlessknave

Wizard
SSD whith 1 partition for truenas OS and a seconde one for Storage
obligatory: your hardware is not recommended, and you have obviously somehow forced the OS disk to be allocatable. this is quite a ways outside any supported configuration. since I do not know how you forced this, I would first suspect that some part of this hack is affecting your other disks. I notice your screenshot seems to say you are trying to add sda to sda, which i would assume is why it says they are the same drive.

qbittorent will not "dl faster" on an SSD, all it will do is use up the SSD faster. download speeds are limited by your internet, not the disk. a slow HDD is perfectly capable of matching the vast majority of internet connections. also, since you have aparently hacked the OS and qbitorrent onto the same SSD, what you are doing is burning your system drive faster for negligile to zero benefit.

the first thing I would say to do is to redirect your qbittorent to the HDD, backups your config, nuke the SSD, reinstall with a supported boot configuration, restore your config file, and then see if you still have duplicate serials/drives.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
qbittorent to dl faster
Not necessarily "faster", but you might want to read this if you want to continue using bittorrent on ZFS:

In the direction of your issue... you got where you are via CLI, so that's how you're going to have to get yourself out of it...

You won't be able to use the GUI to manipulate pools/disks that are partitioned.

It's also not a good idea to have more than one partition on the same disk as a member of the same pool... technically can be done, just not great, hence the GUI stopping you.

Beliall

Dabbler
obligatory: your hardware is not recommended, and you have obviously somehow forced the OS disk to be allocatable. this is quite a ways outside any supported configuration. since I do not know how you forced this, I would first suspect that some part of this hack is affecting your other disks. I notice your screenshot seems to say you are trying to add sda to sda, which i would assume is why it says they are the same drive.

qbittorent will not "dl faster" on an SSD, all it will do is use up the SSD faster. download speeds are limited by your internet, not the disk. a slow HDD is perfectly capable of matching the vast majority of internet connections. also, since you have aparently hacked the OS and qbitorrent onto the same SSD, what you are doing is burning your system drive faster for negligile to zero benefit.

the first thing I would say to do is to redirect your qbittorent to the HDD, backups your config, nuke the SSD, reinstall with a supported boot configuration, restore your config file, and then see if you still have duplicate serials/drives.
Hello
Thank's for your answer

I read this sheet :https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/datasheets/pdfs/ironwolf-18tb-DS1904-20-2111US-en_US.pdf
I got the 4to HDD
I understand a max speed of 180MB/s
My internet connection is over 1GB/S that's why i tried to use the SSD

And why Os and storage and the same SSD? Because its a 500go one ans apparently the OS don't need it so i gave it 200 and keep 300 for storage.

Regards,

Beliall

Dabbler
Not necessarily "faster", but you might want to read this if you want to continue using bittorrent on ZFS:

In the direction of your issue... you got where you are via CLI, so that's how you're going to have to get yourself out of it...

You won't be able to use the GUI to manipulate pools/disks that are partitioned.

It's also not a good idea to have more than one partition on the same disk as a member of the same pool... technically can be done, just not great, hence the GUI stopping you.
Hello,
I will read your link with attention.
I used this method :https://youtu.be/Hdw1ELFaZH8
I understand the GUI don't let me do what i want.
I will dig a little more to try to do it in commande line, if i can't i will follow all your advise et go back to a "normale" configuration

Regards

Last edited:

Beliall

Dabbler
Are you sure your internet connection is 1 GBytes/sec? Or it is 1 Gbits/sec?

1 Gbits/sec = 125MBytes/sec

Understand your Internet Speeds - Megabits vs. Megabytes
OH
Connection speeed is 1Gbits and HDD is 128 MBytes , so i don't need to use the ssd.
Crystal clear THX

Otherwise i add my second HDD to my HDD pool with : zpool add -f HDD1(poolname) /dev/sdc(hdd2)

All seems to be working.
I will follow all your kind advises and came back to normal setup as soon as possible.

Thank's

Regards

Last edited:
Otherwise i add my second HDD to my HDD pool with : zpool add -f HDD1(poolname) /dev/sdc(hdd2)
Anything you do from the command line will not persist on reboot or update, since it's not stored in the sqlite configuration database

Use the webGUI

Last edited:

sretalla