Boot, SLOG and special vdev on the same mirror?

Jamberry

Contributor
After a lot of thinking, I came down a little bit. I tuned down my requirements a lot. I got a little bit lost, because the 25Gbit my ISP offers me sounded so cool and I wanted to try out new technologies. But to be perfectly honest, 1Gbit speed is probably enough. So my current sober thinking is this:

I could get a A2SDi-4C-HLN4F as TrueNAS as recommended by @Patrick M. Hausen. Thanks for the tip! This board would offer 8 SATA Ports and a NVM or USB header for the boot disk. It has 4 NICs, so trunking would provide enough performance for multiple 1Gbit clients accessing data.
For RAM I would start with two 64GB RDIMMs. My current TrueNAS has 64GB and ARC hit ratio is around 98%, lowest I saw was 92%.
Unfortunately, I will not be able to try out special vdevs, because I don't have enough SATA ports, but I am not sure if that would have really helped in practice. As far as I understand it, serving metadata from ARC is faster anyway.

For my Hypervisor, I will stay with my X11SCM-F Proxmox with two nvme drives in mirror. For the unimportant VMs I don't really care, I could use TrueNAS as the destination and force async. For the other VMs, I am currently happy with the performance I have right now. If I wan't more read performance, I could add more RAM to get a bigger ARC, to gain write performance, I could add a SLOG later on.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Keep in mind that you will have to use an NVME/PCIe M.2 drive for booting, if you plan to use all 8 SATA ports. The M.2 socket on the mainboard supports both SATA and PCIe, but you cannot use SATA in that case.

Jamberry

Contributor
Keep in mind that you will have to use an NVME/PCIe M.2 drive for booting, if you plan to use all 8 SATA ports. The M.2 socket on the mainboard supports both SATA and PCIe, but you cannot use SATA in that case.
One of my video editing "ghetto builds" I donated to a friend has an external 2,5" USB disk as boot disk. Works pretty good for over a year now :smile:

Constantin

Vampire Pig
FWIW, my 8-HDD, 5 SSD, etc. system idles around 100W, and that’s with a lot of fans to keep things quite cool. File only server, uses the d-1537 as a CPU. Not bad considering it’s 10GbE, SLOGged, L2arced and special vDEV’d.

If you went with the D1508 version of this board, I’d expect a few watts less consumption.

Jamberry

Contributor
Interesting. Both are 600Fr. the X10SDV-2C-7TP4F and the X10SDV-2C-7TP4F.

X10 has 20 SATA Ports and SFP+ while the A2 has newer CPU and 256GB memory support.

Etorix

Wizard
X10 has 20 SATA Ports and SFP+ while the A2 has newer CPU and 256GB memory support.
Actually, X10SDV-2C-7TP4F has 4 SATA and 16 SAS from the on-board LSI HBA ('7') and SFP+ ('TP'). Slower memory (DDR4-1866) but I suspect that it can actually host more 128 GB using denser RDIMM than what was available at the time of release.
A2SDi-4C-HLN4F has only 8 SATA and 1 GbE. If I remember Supermicro's product stack correctly, you have to upgrade to a C3758 to have 12 SATA and 10 GbE (A2SDi-H-TF).

For a storage platform, the older X10 is a no-brainer here!

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I agree that the D1508 is a non brainer as a dedicated file server platform since it offers a lot more PCIe lanes for supermicro to play with than the atom platform. Room for a real SLOG (x4), HBA for SAS, 10GbE SFP+ for inexpensive fast network performance. With 128GB RAM, it’s pretty hard to run out of RAM, etc.

BUT… this is not a small board. Its size should be ok for folk who want a lot of HDDs because that will entail a bigger case. But don’t expect to fit this into a Q26, XL+, or like mini-ITX case, no matter how many unnatural things you might try. It won’t fit.