Fusion Pool (Special vDEV) and ZILs

hammermaster

Cadet
Hypothetical Pool Geometry
4 x HDDs in RAID-Z2 (data)
3 x NVMEs in mirror (metadata)

After a metadata vDEV has been created does it have its own ZIL? i.e. are there now two ZILs in the pool?

I ask this because I was thinking about adding 3 x SAS3 SSDs I have laying around to create a SLOG.

I cannot find clear ZFS documentation stating how the ZIL(s) will function in this scenario.

All writes to this pool will be SYNC writes.

So, am I correct to assume that the slower SLOG WILL NOT act as a ZIL for the faster NVMEs which contain metadata and some other small block data? The special vDEV has its own ZIL?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
After a metadata vDEV has been created does it have its own ZIL? i.e. are there now two ZILs in the pool?
No.

If you're worried about sync write performance, why are you using RAIDZ2? https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/the-path-to-success-for-block-storage.81165/

So, am I correct to assume that the slower SLOG WILL NOT act as a ZIL for the faster NVMEs which contain metadata and some other small block data? The special vDEV has its own ZIL?
No.

A SLOG, if present, takes over the ZIL function for the pool, meaning no pool integral VDEVs will keep their own ZIL... that's kind-of the whole premise of SLOG.

The intent of having one is to smooth out the performance degradation of sync writes, not to accelerate anything.

hammermaster

Cadet
From what you're saying then the whole idea of adding a fast (NVME) metadata vDEV to a pool of spinning rust (HDDs) would never make sense in any situation. If one were to omit the SLOG entirely then that would mean the ZIL is on the HDDs. With that being said, any data (even metadata) would be written to the ZIL first (which is on the HDDs) and then copied to the final destination. So metadata written to HDDs first then NVMEs second. Data written the HDDs first then to another location on the same HDDs.

Something doesn't add up about your responses.

See the 2nd graphic in the following link:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Something doesn't add up about your responses.

See the 2nd graphic in the following link:
The second to last frame in that graphic explaining SLOG shows exactly what I said... with SLOG, there's no ZIL on pool VDEVs.

From what you're saying then the whole idea of adding a fast (NVME) metadata vDEV to a pool of spinning rust (HDDs) would never make sense in any situation.
I don't think you've thought through all the scenarios.

If one were to omit the SLOG entirely then that would mean the ZIL is on the HDDs
True. But it may also be on the NVMEs depending on block size... not a decision you can make for ZFS to always select the NVMEs without setting the Metadata (Special) small block size to an unreasonably large number, effectively ruining the concept of a hybrid pool at that point.

With that being said, any data (even metadata) would be written to the ZIL first (which is on the HDDs) and then copied to the final destination. So metadata written to HDDs first then NVMEs second. Data written the HDDs first then to another location on the same HDDs.
Seems to me like you're not considering that the on-pool ZIL will folow the same rules for data and ZIL alike, so will go to the respective VDEV.

If I try to re-interpret what you were saying in your OP, maybe that's what you meant?

Just to clarify a little more... SLOG must always be faster than all VDEVs in your pool or it won't really help.

hammermaster

Cadet
Ok, we're getting somewhere now.

Let's just consider the dataset configuration scenario where there is NO SLOG, ALL writes are SYNC writes, and Metadata (SPECIAL) Small Block Size is 64KB.

Now, two scenarios are possible depending on the Record Size of the Dataset:

a) Incoming record is 128KB
1. data undergoes TXG aggregation in ARC (RAM) and TXGs are periodically written (committed as TXGs) to the zpool final data area on the HDDs (spinning rust)
2. white TXG aggregation in RAM is occurring, data is simultaneously being written to the ZIL on the HDDs (spinning rust)
3. once the ZIL gets notified that the TXGs are written to their final destination the ZIL can now flush (delete) the data

b) Incoming record is 32KB
1. data undergoes TXG aggregation in ARC (RAM) and TXGs are periodically written (committed as TXGs) to the zpool final data area on the SSDs (NVME)
2. white TXG aggregation in RAM is occurring, data is simultaneously being written to the ZIL on the SSDs (NVME)
3. once the ZIL gets notified that the TXGs are written to their final destination the ZIL can now flush (delete) the data

Do we have agreement on theses scnearios? There are essentially two locations where the ZIL can reside depending on the Record Size.

sretalla