Error Code Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_am_mute

Cadet
I just installed the FreeNAS 9.3 on a spare computer(specs bellow). I'm not new to PCs, but im new to servers and NAS. When I type in the IP it gives me, it lets me log in, but the screen doesn't have any options(it wont let me attach a picture). It has the FreeNAS logo at the top, an option that says "Expand All" and "collapse all" but i cant click on them. It also has an account thing that I cant click on. When I get on the pc with FreeNAS installed, it keeps repeating this message, "alc0: DMA write error! -- resetting." What's going on? Any help is greatly appreciated.

PC specs:
CPU A8-6600k AMD quad-core
RAM 8GB 1600mHz RAM
Motherboard MSI A88x-G45
Storage 16GB(OS installed on), 500 GB HDD(for storage)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
did you check to see if anyone else has this error? Also check to see if anyone else is successfully running the same motherboard/cpu you are running. I have a feeling that this will just turn out to be unsupported hardware.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Unsupported chipset perhaps? Sounds like a hardware problem of some kind to me.

JDCynical

Contributor
Quick google:

Chipset: AMD A88X (Bolton D4)
Ethernet: Killer E2205

Mute, you are trying to use a gaming motherboard that is full of windows specific things that will never be used on a server and is questionable if they will ever be supported under FreeBSD.

My guess, is that alc0 is the OS trying to access that network interface using an Atheros network driver and having problems.

If you absolutely insist on trying to use that setup, disable everything you can via BIOS/EFI that is useless under FreeBSD/server enviroment (sound, that network card, crossfire support, etc),and get yourself a stand alone Intel network card, not one of those cheap 10 dollar Realtek cards.

But no matter what, that hardware you listed is very much in unsupported land, and you would be a lot better off using something listed in the hardware suggestion thread with real ECC support. As is, you are pretty much on your own for problems.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ethernet: Killer E2205
Well, there's your problem. 31337 G4m3R N37W0RK1N6 Killer crap.

Atheros on FreeBSD manages to be less functional than Realtek, believe it or not. It's stuck in that limbo of not being popular enough to warrant significant attention and not being properly supported by the manufacturer.

As Justin the Cynical correctly pointed out, alc0 is the zeroth device managed by the alc (Atheros Gigabit/Fast Ethernet) driver. Disabling it and getting an Intel NIC should solve that problem. Doesn't mean everything else will be fine, though.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Wow, worse than Realtek? is that possible? :D

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Wow, worse than Realtek? is that possible? :D
The hardware is better, but the driver is worse. Intel's hardware is still better than whatever "gaming" crap these guys push, as proven every time they're actually compared.

I remember the fanfare when their first product was a NIC with a sound card "for minimum latency" and the whole thing was actually an embedded Linux computer. The theory went that offloading voice chat to the card would free up the CPU for better things like... oh yeah, that went nowhere, never mind.

Funny thing is, the Bluetooth and USB controller in my car is an embedded Linux computer with an FPGA to interface with the MOST bus, a bit of RAM and flash and a USB 1.1 Bluetooth adapter (the SoC only has one USB 2.0 port, which is routed to the armrest).

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
a NIC with a sound card "for minimum latency" and the whole thing was actually an embedded Linux computer

Ok, this is hilarious :D

Status
Not open for further replies.