ERROR “Partial plugin destroyed” while re-installing plex media server

jonas.albrr

Dabbler
NAS Version#: TrueNAS-12.0-U1.1
Plex Server Plugin Version#: 1.21.1.3876
While trying to install a Plex Media Server in a FreeNAS jail I get the following Error Message and the end of installing process :
"Error: plex had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: Last 10 lines: Partial plugin destroyed"

Background information: Before I tried to install the server again, I already had a running Plex Media Server. However the local WebApp was permanently unavailable. As I did not figure out, what the problem was, I deleted the plugin and wanted to install it again.
However, as you see: This did not work out.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
You may have better luck with @danb35's script instead of the plugin:

jonas.albrr

Dabbler
Hi, thanks for the fast reply. Is this script also suitable for TrueNAS 12 as was writen for FreeNAS? I'm new to this, so forgive my possible stupid question :)

Samuel Tai

Yes, I believe so.

Samuel Tai

4. How do I run the script "./plex-jail.sh"?

For the jail, expand the < on the right, and then click Shell. This will open a shell inside the jail. In this jail shell, you should be root; if not, run sudo su - to become root. Then, from root's shell, just run ./plex-jail.sh from where you git clone'd the upstream tree.

Samuel Tai

pkg install git

danb35

Hall of Famer
Perfect. Just to be clear:
  1. I create a jail
No. The script creates the jail. You download the script somewhere on your FreeNAS system and run it from there.

danb35

Hall of Famer

jonas.albrr

Dabbler
However now it fails again, probably a misake in the plex-config file. I kinda just copied the example and chaged the IP adresses:

Creating jail pms. This may take a minute, please be patient.
Please provide a valid ip: Only decimal digits permitted '41\r' in '192.168.178.41\r'
Failed to create jail

So I deleted the '.', but now I got this response:
Creating jail pms. This may take a minute, please be patient.
Please provide a valid ip: Expected 4 octets in '19216817841\r'
Failed to create jail

I'm failing again understanding what's the problem. I'm so sorry for all these probably basic questions.

Samuel Tai

Your IP address is wrong. The first complaint was for the \r in the last octet. The second complaint was for missing dots. Please just supply a valid IP address for your subnet.

jonas.albrr

Dabbler
JAIL_IP="192.168.178.41"
DEFAULT_GW_IP="192.168.178.1"
That are the first two lines from plex-config.
The Jail_IP is a not used IP from my subnet. What am I missing? All IP addresses in my subnet are 192.168.178.X

Samuel Tai

How did you create the plex-config file? Using vi on the TrueNAS server, or Notepad on Windows?

jonas.albrr

Dabbler
I created a SMB share for the directory of the files from GitHub in there I created with Windows Editor a new file.

Samuel Tai

That's the problem. Windows adds an extra hidden character to the ends of lines. Try creating the file directly on the TrueNAS server using nano in the shell.

See also: https://kb.iu.edu/d/acux. This is a historical difference between Unix and Windows text handling.

jonas.albrr

Dabbler
That worked! I'm so thankful. Finally a working plex server again. The plugin version is way easier but that stopped working. Now I can use it again! Wow I learned so much this day! Thanks for that.

How do I update plex? Plex is stating there is a newer version and I have to maually update.