Epyc on h11ssl or h12ssl

metebalci

Dabbler
I read in many places Intel platforms are better supported. Is there still any stability issue with Epyc (particularly 7002) on h11ssl and h12ssl mainboards ? I understand Epyc is overkill but the small price difference with huge I/O capability makes it interesting.

Whattteva

Wizard
I wouldn't say Intel is better supported, more like they usually have some desirable things for home NAS users.

• More affordable official ECC support: Until as recently as 9th-gen i3's you can get official ECC support on a consumer chip.
  • QuickSync support on iGPU: Those same i3's (or i5/i7 if you don't care for ECC) has QuickSync support which, often times, is a deal breaker for home users due to Plex/Emby/Jellyfin transcoding.

metebalci

Dabbler
I see. It seems I am not a very typical home NAS user. ECC is a must for me as well, but I would go with Xeon. To be honest, I had no idea about QuickSync as I do not transcode, I stream often but stream in native resolution.

Whattteva

Wizard
I see. It seems I am not a very typical home NAS user. ECC is a must for me as well, but I would go with Xeon. To be honest, I had no idea about QuickSync as I do not transcode, I stream often but stream in native resolution.
Transcoding need has nothing to do with whether or not you're streaming in native translation. It's more to do with client device support. If the client doesn't support/understand the format you're streaming, the stream then has to be transcoded for the client to be able to playback.

metebalci

Dabbler
Yes I understand, I wrote resolution instead of format by mistake. I have not seen any of my clients not supporting the video formats I have so not considered transcoding yet.