Email stopped sending

Status
Not open for further replies.

j5350

Cadet
I have a strange email problem. When I was setting up my system and had everything done, the email would send every morning with system info. The system was set up in my living room for easy access and hooked up to a gigabit switch. Once it was fully configured and I was happy with every thing, I moved it to the basement to be out of the way. I switched the ethernet cables so the system would still be on the same port of the switch. It still has the same IP address, all shares work like normal and all streaming works perfectly. The emails will just not send. When I try to send the "test email" it gives me an error msg at the top of the screen: "Your test email could not be sent: [Errno 51] Network is unreachable". Some assistance would be great because I really like getting the daily email reports of free space, disk status, etc...

Thank you.

ProtoSD

MVP
It sounds like a DNS issue, can you ping your email server from the command line using the hostname? What about the email server's IP address?

If pinging by hostname doesn't work, you can use an openDNS server like google's 8.8.8.8 or OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 You would need to add either or both of those in the GUI under Network settings by clicking the NETWORK icon at the top of the GUI.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.