[EINVAL] vm_create: This system does not support virtualization.

christophe195

Dabbler
Hello,

i run freenas on a Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, in the bios i have set the virtualization settings on.

When i try to create a virtual machine (windows 10) i got the next error, can someone explain the problem?

version: FreeNAS-11.3-U2

Code:
VM Summary
Guest Operating System : Windows
Number of CPUs : 2
Memory : 4 GiB
Disk Size : 80 GiB
Name : win10
Installation Media : /mnt/VM_en_plugins/Win10_Dutch_x64.iso
Confirm these settings.

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 130, in call_method
    io_thread=False)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1081, in _call
    return await methodobj(*args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/service.py", line 397, in create
    f'{self._config.namespace}.create', self, self.do_create, [data]
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1081, in _call
    return await methodobj(*args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 961, in nf
    return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 806, in do_create
    verrors.check()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/service_exception.py", line 62, in check
    raise self
middlewared.service_exception.ValidationErrors: [EINVAL] vm_create: This system does not support virtualization.

christophe

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'm guessing your CPU doesn't have EPT support, which bhyve requires.

christophe195

Dabbler
The CPU does, but i can not find this information of the motherboard P5QL PRO, maybe i need a bios update

good morning friends

I have a problem, I have this machine configuration. However I am not able to create VM, I have already activated the BIOS in Intel Virtualization Technology and even then gives this error

Processador: Core2Quad Q8400
Placa Mãe: Asus P5G41T-M LX2
Memória: 8GB RAM DDR3 1066mhz G.SKill

Error:

Sem título.png
IMG_20200614_202602.jpg

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Your CPU doesn't support EPT. According to the Intel ARK datasheet, it doesn't list

Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT) ‡
Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT), also known as Second Level Address Translation (SLAT), provides acceleration for memory intensive virtualized applications. Extended Page Tables in Intel® Virtualization Technology platforms reduces the memory and power overhead costs and increases battery life through hardware optimization of page table management.​

as a capability; the CPU came on the market before this technology existed.

As a comparison, see the ARK datasheet for a CPU that does support EPT, the Xeon E3-1230 v3.

Your CPU doesn't support EPT. According to the Intel ARK datasheet, it doesn't list

Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT) ‡
Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT), also known as Second Level Address Translation (SLAT), provides acceleration for memory intensive virtualized applications. Extended Page Tables in Intel® Virtualization Technology platforms reduces the memory and power overhead costs and increases battery life through hardware optimization of page table management.​

as a capability; the CPU came on the market before this technology existed.

As a comparison, see the ARK datasheet for a CPU that does support EPT, the Xeon E3-1230 v3.

now yes understanding, thank you very much for the explanation Samuel Tai

okkies

Cadet
I have the same issue, only my CPU does support EPT..

Intel I7-8700K
Asus Strix Z370-F

Bios upated, virtualisation enabled ... (truenas is running in a VM)
VT-D enabled

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I have the same issue, only my CPU does support EPT..

Intel I7-8700K
Asus Strix Z370-F

Bios upated, virtualisation enabled ... (truenas is running in a VM)
VT-D enabled

So, wait, you say "is running in a VM". That strongly suggests that your "CPU" doesn't support EPT.

Remember that when you are running something in a VM, your CPU is actually whatever features your hypervisor has gifted the guest with. This is often not the full set of features that your physical CPU has.

However, since you have conveniently left out any useful description of your system, such as what hypervisor you are running. Most hypervisors need to be twiddled to allow nested virtualization.

Get rid of the hypervisor and try it on bare metal.

rdhoore108

Cadet
I just got the same error :oops: Today I downloaded and installed TrueNAS Scale on my brand new test setup with Ryzen 7 3700X processor on an MSI B450M Mortar Max motherboard with newest BIOS (which I updated after I got this error).

Is it possible that a processor with 8 cores and 16 threads does not support EPT? If that's true, I guess TrueNAS scale will not be the right thing for me then. I had such high hopes :frown:

rdhoore108

Cadet
I just got the same error :oops: Today I downloaded and installed TrueNAS Scale on my brand new test setup with Ryzen 7 3700X processor on an MSI B450M Mortar Max motherboard with newest BIOS (which I updated after I got this error).

Is it possible that a processor with 8 cores and 16 threads does not support EPT? If that's true, I guess TrueNAS scale will not be the right thing for me then. I had such high hopes :frown:

Actually, when I look inside /proc/cpuinfo I do see "npt" listed among the many other things, meaning "nested page tables", which should be quite the same as Intel's "extended page tables". Is TrueNAS Scale not meant to run on AMD?

rdhoore108

Cadet
To reply to my own question, the CPU virtualization options were disabled in the BIOS, in a place related to overclocking where I would normally never ever be looking, if it were not that in the meantime I tried Proxmox on the same hardware (because my wife urgently needs a fast virtual machine for a geology project) and to my horror it complained in a similar way! So I started searching the net again and then found someone explaining how the CPU virtualization options were hidden in some impossible corner of his BIOS settings, so I found that was the solution for me as well.

But now I have proxmox up and running, will have to wait some three weeks for my wife to finish her project before the hardware becomes available to try TrueNAS Scale again. So hopefully you will have a new version ready by then, with new goodies :smile: