edit permission oddness?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
*I don't see an edit button on my posts, but missed a couple things
Do you not have a button at the bottom of your post like this:
1575743273506.png

I understand if you don't have some of the other buttons, but you should be able to edit your own post.

Please let me know.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I don't see a reason why not. Permission analyzed:

It is the second time recently that I have seen a user post that they couldn't edit their own post. Is there another level where this permission could be blocking?

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
It is the second time recently that I have seen a user post that they couldn't edit their own post. Is there another level where this permission could be blocking?
The *only* other thing that could be 'in play' at all is the spam filter which forces moderation up to a certain number of approved posts, but I cannot imagine how that would have any effect with regard to denying posting, replies or whatever. I also looked to see if there were any group memberships that may have been unusual, there were none. Absolutely peculiar.

Actually, I remembered other *possible* items that could affect but I don't know that it would manifest as a missing edit button: the edit timer or flood timer.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The *only* other thing that could be 'in play' at all is the spam filter which forces moderation up to a certain number of approved posts, but I cannot imagine how that would have any effect with regard to denying posting, replies or whatever.
Could be that the user wasn't allowed to edit their post because they had not made enough posts yet. It was a new user. How many posts do they need before the spam filter lets them have normal access?

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Could be that the user wasn't allowed to edit their post because they had not made enough posts yet. It was a new user. How many posts do they need before the spam filter lets them have normal access?
If the issue still persists, he is beyond that number already now, which is what I had implied. Nothing in that setting which means moderation scrutiny up to X posts is supposed to do anything other than that. If this were a rather common issue shouldn't we see it affecting more users? I suppose another good question may be what device is used to access the forums and therefore also what viewport size. Those may cause things to shift or vanish into other places/tabs etc. possibly.

I wonder how many users were "grandfathered in" when switching to use XenForo forum software, and how many of those may have been special in some way when we updated to XenForo 2.x.

soft_reset

Dabbler
I have the same issue of not being able to edit my posts, and I am new as well. I guess this is to prevent bots editing spam into their posts?
It's a bit weird but I assumed this was intended policy.
1577759149253.png

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
I will have to do some testing on Jan 2nd or so, to better understand the situation. As I said before, there ought to be moderation but I am now uncertain about the edit issue, of course if the new post hadn't yet been moderated? I dunno. However, yes we have had some sneaky spammers (whether bots or active *shrugs*) that make a seeming innocent post, then later edit to add a link, or worse (IMHO) quote a prior user, then insert the link into the quote thereby shifting blame for those without a keen eye.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Whatever you did worked for me, I can edit my posts now
View attachment 34800
Thanks by the way
I actually had not done anything, which still points at a threshold number of posts made. It seems somewhat odd to me though that the moderation requirement would have to present as no edit priviledge. I still have to do the testing to better understand.

Killom

Dabbler
Same issue here. New User. But I guessed it's some kind of post threshold. After reading this thread, I'm confident that there is some kind of threshold. 5 posts maybe?

SlackerDude

Explorer
If someone could take a look at my settings, I would appreciate it. Though I can edit my own posts, I do not see the Thread Tools that allow for tagging my created thread "Solved". I have to rely on a moderator to do that for me.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
If someone could take a look at my settings, I would appreciate it. Though I can edit my own posts, I do not see the Thread Tools that allow for tagging my created thread "Solved". I have to rely on a moderator to do that for me.

Tags and labels are two different things. A tag is another way to reference a thread which would also associate it with every other thread with the same tags. Tags would be useful for searchable details such as the model number or device name or something like that. When you mention "tagging your thread Solved" this is what the labels are. The difference between the two, aside from labels being much more limited presently, is that permissions for them are handled differently. I believe that labels are configured per node (ie, per forum) while tags are according to group permissions. Perhaps there ought to be a little more granular control which includes permission for tags as a group-level permission instead of limiting it to mods or admins or very specific individuals. Until that is decided, arranged, I am not going to adjust tag permissions.

However, in order to adjust label permissions I need to know which forums (nodes) that you attempted to label as 'solved' which appears next to the thread title. It seems as though a node needs to be configured to have any certain labels available as a choice when editing the thread. So, for now, if you already know which forum it was, let me know, otherwise try editing your thread to add the solved label.

SlackerDude

Explorer
sorry for the late response. I believe the forum is "General Plugin Discussion. Here is the link to the thread:

I feel like I must be missing something pretty basic, but I have not yet identified a way to perform a basic function like marking this thread "solved".

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
As I mentioned, it is with the edit thread and prefix as shown in photo series below.
Screenshot_2020-04-12 test post(2).png
Screenshot_2020-04-12 test post(3).png
[/spolier]

UPDATE:
Sorry. After looking at the specific forum/thread, I discovered that the 'solved' prefix was not made available on that forum. I have adjusted that prefix to make it available to more forums, possibly all of those that likely need it. You should now be able to set the prefix-- part of my discovery was to notice that I couldn't do it either! :)

Last edited:

SlackerDude

Explorer
Thanks for being able to resolve this, I was really beginning to question my ability to follow simple instructions. :)