eBay/Amazon Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fr33n0zeer

Dabbler
Near the end of 2017, I purchased an HPE Proliant ML10 Gen9 and some accessories for a FreeNAS box. After I purchased it, I decided to return but apparently HPE has a no return policy, even though unopened with factory seals. I was unaware of this prior to purchase.

Some might ask, "Why not set-up a FreeNAS?" I have so many projects going already. I do not have time for another one.

Now, I'm looking to sell on eBay/Amazon. While I've sold some stuff on eBay, I have not sold on Amazon. Also, these platforms are very heavily skewed in favor of buyers. I'm wondering whether you've sold computer parts on one of these platforms and any advice for smooth transactions?

Thanks in advance.

twinscroll

Dabbler
I think eBay is probably your best bet. From what I remember last, Amazon is an arm and a leg unless you're doing volume. I haven't checked yet, but I'm wondering if forums such as these have "For Sale" sections.

I myself have acquired and sold several R710's and 410's via CraigsList and have had decent luck with that. For a new server I'd do eBay. How much would you be looking to get for it?

fr33n0zeer

Dabbler
I think eBay is probably your best bet. From what I remember last, Amazon is an arm and a leg unless you're doing volume. I haven't checked yet, but I'm wondering if forums such as these have "For Sale" sections.

I myself have acquired and sold several R710's and 410's via CraigsList and have had decent luck with that. For a new server I'd do eBay. How much would you be looking to get for it?

How much in part depends on whether there is shipping involved. The HPE Proliant is brand new. I would like to get what I paid, plus shipping. I have additional new parts that I am planning to sell separately, since everything is new in box, such as ECC ram, Fractal Design Define R5, Seasonic 650 power supply, DisplayPort to VGA adapter, etc.

Last edited:

twinscroll

Dabbler
Got ya. I highly doubt - even if it was still all sealed etc - that you'd get the same you paid for it. But! Absolutely worth a shot and the only way to find out is to list it and see what people are willing to pay. I think you can get fairly close. I do agree on the shipping. That's what has kept me from selling heaver items on eBay for instance, since I don't ship in volume and can't get those sorts of discounts. And the issue with selling locally is it really depends on if someone is looking for exactly what you've got. Plus side being no seller fees.

The components you have should have no problem selling though! That's for sure.

Linkman

Patron
Unless the super deal is still running (like the $199 I purchased my ML10 Gen9 for) then getting what you paid in this particular case isn't out of the question, check what that server is going for now for comparison. A very quick Google shows that both the Xeon E3 and Core i3 models are selling for well over that price point.

fr33n0zeer

Dabbler
Unless the super deal is still running (like the $199 I purchased my ML10 Gen9 for) then getting what you paid in this particular case isn't out of the question, check what that server is going for now for comparison. A very quick Google shows that both the Xeon E3 and Core i3 models are selling for well over that price point.

Thanks for you input. I noticed that also.

twinscroll

Dabbler

Very true! Good point.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm wondering if forums such as these have "For Sale" sections.
"For Sale" posts can be made here in OT; there isn't a dedicated forum for them.
I would like to get what I paid, plus shipping.
I'd ordinarily say "fat chance," but if the price you paid is significantly less than the current going price, you're in much better shape.

fr33n0zeer

Dabbler
Well, I've looked over some of the commercial desktop NAS options again. Then I looked across the room to my HPE, et al, NAS hardware. I started building my NAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.