Duplicating zVol between volumes hosting Windows VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckypp

Dabbler
Hi all,

I'm running FreeNAS 11.0 Update 1 and I have a zVol on one volume (volume1) that I want to duplicate to another volume (volume2). The zVol hosts a Windows 10 VM and correctly boots into Windows if I mount it in the existing volume.

I try to duplicate it across using:
# dd if=/dev/zvol/volume1/first-c | pv -s 65G | dd of=/dev/zvol/volume2/second-c

But then when I mount the second-c volume it doesn't see it as an EFI disk and won't boot.

Would really appreciate someone telling me what I am doing wrong with the dd command? Can also use qemu if there is a way.

Please help

C

wblock

Documentation Engineer
First, use a larger buffer size with dd, both on sending and receiving ends. bs=1m, for example.

Also, I'm not sure about the -s 65G for pipeviewer. That might truncate the data, which could cause the problem you are seeing.

Just as a side note, the high-tech method of this is to use clones. See the Tip at the end of the dedup section here: http://doc.freenas.org/11/storage.html#deduplication.

chuckypp

Dabbler
Hey, thanks for the reply. I tried increasing the buffer size to 16k, 1m and even without it and removing the pv component and get the same result.

The issue with using clones is you can only clone within the same volume and I want this duplicate zVol on a different volume.

Any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.