Dropbox Sync error

Jamberry

Contributor
Pretty sure that this is a issue with Dropbox not TrueNAS. Maybe it will help someone else. Will keep you updated.

Platform: TRUENAS-MINI-3.0-X+

Version:
TrueNAS-12.0-U1.1

To save our Dropbox Data, I have added a cloud sync task.
Credential:
DropboxCredentials
Direction:
SYNC
Transfer Mode:
COPY
Path:
/mnt/pool1/Dropbox
Schedule:
At 12:00 AM
Next Run:
in 8 hours
Minute:
Hour:
Day of Month:
Month:
Day of Week:

Unfortunately the task gets stuck at 100%.
I have changed from SYNC to COPY with the same result.

Looking at the logs, I get these errors:

Code:
2021/02/02 15:36:34 ERROR : here is a path /-Bold.otf: Failed to copy: failed to open source object: path/restricted_content/

Dropbox sync failed due to restricted content being present in one of the folders. This may include
copyrighted content or the DropBox manual PDF that appears in the home directory after signing up.
All other files were synchronized, but no deletions were performed as synchronization is considered
unsuccessful. Please inspect logs to determine which files are considered restricted and exclude them
from your synchronization. If you think that files are restricted erroneously, contact
Dropbox Support: https://www.dropbox.com/support

If have opened a ticket at Dropbox. First response is:
Are you using some kind of NAS and an API?
I explained that I use TrueNAS and are now waiting for an answer.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Is the error message relevant to you? I.e. does any of the conditions in there match your setup?

Jamberry

Contributor
Not really. It is not the Dropbox manual, so I think it is because Dropbox flags them as copyrighted. But the files are fonts and a niche software that has to be activated anyway and is freely available to download.

The fact that dropbox checks what files I wanna save gives me chills. We decided years ago to use Dropbox because of the "unlimited and stored forever" claim, that was later reduced to 180 days. Now I want to sync my files to TrueNAS and take a daily snapshot and keep that snapshot for 10 years.

Jamberry

Contributor
Just got an answer from Dropbox Support.
In short: That is a problem on your end, contact ixSystems or have a look at the API documentation https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Developer-API/ct-p/101000041

I asked back what he makes out of the error log Dropbox sync failed due to restricted content being present in one of the folders and that this sounds to me like a Dropbox problem.

Jamberry

Contributor
Answer came back. They want contact details of a ixSystems API developer to get in touch.

No problem, I have multiple contacts at ixSystems /s
Dropbox Support seems like a joke.

Jamberry

Contributor
Ok, I tried zipping the restricted files without luck.
Cloud sync task gets stuck at 100% and never finishes. Error in the log files is still the same.

I contacted Dropbox business again and sent them the log files. Now they ask me for a screenshot. As far as I know this cloud sync task is just some kind of rsync right? I told them that I could take a screenshot of the log file but I doubt there will be any additional information :)

ChrisRJ

Wizard

Jamberry

Contributor
I finally got to second level support of dropbox.
He said there is nothing that can be done, because of copyright.
I answered that the flagged files are:
- a font
- a picture an employee took
- a software installer that is available for public download

Will report back, if I have an answer.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Copyright is often a non-intuitive thing, to say the least. I remember that a few years ago Adobe allowed the free download and installation of the PDF reader (also for commercial use), as long as that was done manually by the individual who would also use it later. But if an IT department wanted to roll this out to all staff machines in an automated fashion, they had to pay. The installer MSI was freely downloadable, though.

So the Dropbox support will have their guidelines, which will effectively "play this safe". To look into something like this on an individual basis is not feasible from a manpower perspective and also way too expensive.

Anyway, good luck!

Jamberry

Contributor
To be honest it scares me how much power Dropbox has over our data. I would understand if they check for files that are downloaded 1000 times from my Dropbox but checking every single file I own?! Seems way off to me. Stuff like this is seriously pushing me to make me think about switching to nextcloud.

Contrary to my previous belief, zipping the files did work.
Now the only files that show up in the log are empty zip files. No idea why we had 3 empty zip files :)
Deleted them and will report back how it went.

Jamberry

Contributor
I did check the logs and now it is working
biggrin.png
I have no idea why.
Maybe Dropbox Business finally solved this in the background :rolleyes: