Drive Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

tla

Cadet
When I first installed FreeNAS I only had a small SSD drive. Once the installation process was complete I then installed two more drives and configured them to be striped. I created two volumes, one called System, which I used the SSD and one called Media, which I used the two striped drives. I created a jail under the System volume and installed the Plex plug in. I seet up a share for the Media volume. I then put my movies and music on the Media volume and was able to stream the content via Plex. This worked awesome for about a year until yesterday when the small solid state drive failed. Before figuring out the the SSD died I rebooted the computer a couple times and then FreeNAS became available again. I could log in via the web server. It still has problems, my jails are gone, Plex is gone but the Media volume is functional and accessible.

My question: If FreeNAS was installed on the SSD and it died, how the heck did it recover and still boot up?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
FreeNAS isn't installed on the failing SSD (because if it was you couldn't have put the jail on it), it's installed on another SSD or on an USB stick.

tla

Cadet
I started with a new computer build. The only storage of any kind was the small SSD. I installed FreeNAS. After installation I could log in via the web based interface. There was no other option, FeeNAS had to be installed on the SSD. I then physically installed the two conventional drives and configured they system for my needs.

gpsguy

If FreeNAS was on the SSD and you had 2 spinning disks, my guess is that the latter were not striped, but independent volumes (System and Media).

Then the "conventional drive" containing the System volume died. So, you lost that data. But, FreeNAS could boot off the SSD and your Media volume was intact.

If the SSD died, FreeNAS wouldn't boot. And, if the other disks were indeed striped, if one failed, you'd loose both your System and Media volumes.

Please post the output of zpool status in code tags.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
If FreeNAS was installed on the ssd, there is no way you were able to create a volume with it for system

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Output of zpool status and zfs list please. Also freenas version if you can, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.