Does moving files in a dataset cause Snapshot size to increase?

Sprint

Explorer
This is probably a really simple question to someone that knows, but I can't seem to phrase the question into Google correctly to give the answer I'm looking for... (I just get answers relating to moving data between datasets.)

I've just started a 10Tb snapshot replication that will take about 3 to 4 weeks to transfer to my offsite Freenas backup, having just rebuilt the dataset, its about 300Gb into the transfer, but I just reliased I made a mistake and there are already 1 days worth of hourlys and 3 days worth of hourly snapshots queued up and waiting to transfer... (I left the 10Tb copying overnight, took about 8 hours with hourly snapshots being taken as it went)

So my dataset was structured like so...
Dataset A
Media Folder
10Tb of Media

However I've just realised that I'd missed a layer (and a folder i forgot to copy back..., and the structure should be...

Dataset A
Master Folder
Media Folder
10Tb of Media
Other Folder with 400Gb of stuff.

So i just created the missing folder, and did a "CUT and PASTE" of the 10Tb Media folder into the Master folder...

So my question... will the snapshot see that as 10Tb of "change", or is it intelligent enough to see that the data just moved down a folder? (ignoring the extra 400Gb, i know that'll get added as new data obviously). If not, I may as well scrub the last 2 days worth of transfers and start again :(

Thanks in advanced.
Sprint

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I assume that when you did this "cut and paste" it read the 10TB and then wrote it back to the system... and it took quite a while.

If there are new writes to the system, the snapshot will reflect those.

Sprint

Explorer
I assume that when you did this "cut and paste" it read the 10TB and then wrote it back to the system... and it took quite a while.

If there are new writes to the system, the snapshot will reflect those.
No it was instant, as it never changed dataset, just moved from one folder to another on that same dataset, hence I'm hoping its just an update on whatever the ZFS equivalent to a File Allocation Table is? The system took a snapshot last night and I don't THINK its increased beyond the 400Gb of fresh data (crossing fingers!)