Does FreeNAS work on ESXi 6.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hxy9983

Cadet
Hello everyone! I would like to ask the next FreeNAS can be normal, stable working on ESXi 6.0?

Last edited by a moderator:

Redcoat

MVP
Hello there! The conventional wisdom around here is that FreeNAS does work well on Exsi 6.0. See this article for some information on installing and configuring it.
You can also search here for Exsi and find other threads covering it - for instance here's one from the Resource section with scripts to be used in conjunction with FreeNAS on Exsi.

Last edited:

hxy9983

Cadet
Hello there! The conventional wisdom around here is that FreeNAS does work well on Exsi 6.0. See this article for some information on installing and configuring it.
You can also search here for Exsi and find other threads covering it - for instance here's one from the Resource section with scripts to be used oin conjunction with FreeNAS on Exsi.
Thank you for your reply! I am learning the information you sent me~Happy Chinese New Year:P

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Hello there! The conventional wisdom around here is that FreeNAS does work well on Exsi 6.0.

No, the conventional wisdom around here is that FreeNAS *could* work well, but there are some significant caveats. Please do point users at the local resources, because they include cautions, information, and provide a more appropriate sense of the risks, and also explain how to devise a recovery plan.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ide-to-not-completely-losing-your-data.12714/

The forum just finished a discussion recently of a platform that looked like it might virtualize OK but in practice didn't. I spent a lot of time in the early years trying to mop up virtualization messes and watching pools vanish, so you can feel free to call me a little paranoid. A hideously vague question, such as the OP's, without any hardware description, deserves a more conservative answer, especially as so many people pick up outdated gear from eBay and expect it to just magically work right. Fortunately, between the local documentation, better modern VT-d, and having discouraged the use of non-Supermicro gear, I find that my years-long strategy has been successful in that I do not recall the exact last time I had to explain to a user why their janky ill-advised virtualized FreeNAS had eaten their pool and they weren't getting it back. But I hope you'll forgive me for being cautious and a little paranoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.