A bit of a scare moving from 11 (STABLE) to 11.2 (STABLE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

norbs

Explorer
Ran the upgrade and came back to this. Back to normal after a hard reboot.

Yes, I'm running freenas as a VM in ESXi 6.0, using a raid controller in VT-D. This has been a stable setup for a long time now.

2 Cores and 32GB assigned to the VM.
One possible cause is I also had a USB disk attached that I was using for backups of my main pool. Just thinking it's something most setups would not have.
Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 12.05.02 PM.png

danb35

Hall of Famer
Why in the world would the update train be called 11.2 Stable?
That's a very good question that I have yet to see iX adequately answer.

adrianwi

Guru
After the 10/Corral fiasco, you would have expected them to be much, much clearer about what is production ready and what is still a beta product.

artlessknave

Wizard
apparently the train name refers to the freeBSD base OS stability, not the freeNAS train stability
11.2-stable doesn't exist yet, the newest, most stable thing in that train is freeNAS-11.2-beta2 (freeBSD-11.2-stable)

the current freenas stable is 11.1.u5 in the freenas-11-stable train.
this was noted in another post; apparently with 11.3 they plan to make the stable trains less...stupid.

basically, never switch trains unless you know what you are doing, and are ready for it to explode majestically, taking all your data with it.

kdragon75

Wizard
apparently the train name refers to the freeBSD base OS stability, not the freeNAS train stability
11.2-stable doesn't exist yet, the newest, most stable thing in that train is freeNAS-11.2-beta2 (freeBSD-11.2-stable)

the current freenas stable is 11.1.u5 in the freenas-11-stable train.
this was noted in another post; apparently with 11.3 they plan to make the stable trains less...stupid.

basically, never switch trains unless you know what you are doing, and are ready for it to explode majestically, taking all your data with it.
More specifically, it refers to the kernel architecture. Once in stable, it will be the same from 11.0 to 11.final (whatever that is). This is significant for programmer and developer as it ensures that no point release will break any low level functionality. You can still download FreeBSD-STABLE that is a beta. Why on earth iXSystems extended this naming into the GUI is beyond understanding.

kdragon75

Wizard
(citation needed)
Just wait till there is a major update to ZFS. I'm sure it will happen. I'll be on pure FreeBSD by then so I wont be here to see the fall out.

artlessknave

Wizard
after the awesomeness that was corral
JI'll be on pure FreeBSD
is looking appealing, even though i like click config. "new" "improved" GUI's almost invariably get less usable. disabling a bunch of replications just to do maintenance and then reenable them, one at a frikkin time, is getting old, and the new ui doesn't seem to address that at all, hiding still more things that should be in a damn table format so it can be used, not "hidden" to "protect" users.80% of the new UI is blank space

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Just wait till there is a major update to ZFS.
ZFS doesn't just break. The worst bug in ZFS since I started using it did not even cause data loss (and it was on Linux only) and only messed up some directory structures.

So, let's cut the FUD. That means no discussion of STABLE vs BETA here - iX has committed to fixing that for 11.3 and there is no point in beating a dead horse. As for suggestions for the new GUI, there are threads for that and this is not one of them.

So, back on topic, please.

One possible cause is I also had a USB disk attached that I was using for backups of my main pool. Just thinking it's something most setups would not have.
I don't think so. The function mentioned there is related to the display output, which has seen some work recently. Please file a bug report and be sure to include the details of your VM.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's still Beta2.

danb35

Hall of Famer

norbs

Explorer
Is it still beta or is it safe to update? Any good reasons to why to update?
Still on Beta 3 right now.
I don't see any feature worth risking your data to update. If you didn't do it already by accident, then stick with released software.

raidflex

Guru
A simple change to the train name from "stable" to beta would have been sufficient enough. People keep creating topics and complaining because it STILL says stable.

There is one good reason and that is because pkg is broken in iocage jails due to 11.1 being EOL, personally though I would wait for the impending RC release soon.

Apollo

Wizard
Pun intended but according to Merriam-Webster this comes up as:
stable
noun

sta·ble | \ˈstā-bəl

Definition of stable
(Entry 1 of 3)

1 : a building in which domestic animals are sheltered and fed especially: such a building having stalls or compartments a horse stable

Maybe a continuation of the Corral ecosystem?

Status
Not open for further replies.