Does a file created on TrueNAS is allowed for read/write/update/delete using multiple protocols(NFS and SMB) i.e. from both linux and windows system

marisri99

Cadet
Hi,

I am looking to provide unified access such as a file created from unix system should have acess for read/write/update/delete from windows system and vice versa on a generic type share provisioned on TrueNAS CORE storage however files look like below where file created from linux system(NFS share) is showing permissions with uid and file created from windows system(SMB share) is showing permissions with <domain\acct> where both these <uid> and <domain\acct> belong to same user.

/mnt/storagepool/nfsdataset :-
---------------------------

-rwxrw-rw- 1 <uid> <gid> <date> <filename> // this file is created from linux system

-rwxrw-rw-+ 1 <domain\acct> <gid> <date> <filename> // this file is created from windows system

Is there any way we can map the UID to <domain\acct> such that TrueNAS system knows both are same thus allowing write/update access to the file created in unix from windows and vice-versa.

Currently my system is integrated with AD and wasn' able to integrate with LDAP as only one of them is supported for integrations.

Kindly help with this.

Thanks,
-Srini

Etorix

Wizard
TrueNAS can share by NFS, SMB and AFS, but it is a bad idea to share a dataset with two different protocols at the same time: Each protocol would be unaware of changes made by the other.
In your case, it is better that all clients, Windows or Linux, access the share through SMB.

marisri99

Cadet
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, actually I have existing data on NFS shares and if I have to migrate that data to SMB share, I think there will be inconsistencies, Any idea how to overcome this situation, thanks.

Etorix

Wizard
There is no "migration". Just turn off NFS sharing and activate SMB sharing on the same dataset. Of course, you need to set up suitable Windows-style ACL for the dataset, but that's a pain which cannot be avoided with SMB.