Docker on FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

tofagerl

Contributor
That's... weird... A product in alpha usually has a fixed feature set.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
That's... weird... A product in alpha usually has a fixed feature set.
Considering the amount of changes being made to the entire OS, it's not difficult to see that features that may be planned now might not make it to the final product in time for release.

tofagerl

Contributor
Sure, I just thought something as big as this would be nailed down.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Sure, I just thought something as big as this would be nailed down.
How is this big when we have bhyve, iohyve, and jails?

I think people put too much hype in Docker. It's cool. We use it for apps in development at work, but it's not the end all, be all.

tofagerl

Contributor
You guess incorrectly. If I hadn't read them, why would I ask here?
I don't like the way you speak to me, by the way. You're arrogant and you talk down to people instead of engaging them in conversation.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You guess incorrectly. If I hadn't read them, why would I ask here?
I don't like the way you speak to me, by the way. You're arrogant and you talk down to people instead of engaging them in conversation.
How was that arrogant?

I am engaging in conversation on this subject. I asked you why it was a big deal and you linked me to a blog post from last year talking about FreeBSD. Not sure what that has to do with it.

tofagerl

Contributor
Sigh... If I thought that the blog post was talking about freenas, why would I ask here if Docker would work on freenas? It would be obvious that it would, since that blog post advertised it a year ago - or so I, in your world, would have believed.

The reason I'm asking is that I know it's possible, but I don't know if it will be included! That should tell you that I know the difference between freebsd and freenas.

I don't have the time or inclination to continue this discussion.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Sigh... If I thought that the blog post was talking about freenas, why would I ask here if Docker would work on freenas? It would be obvious that it would, since that blog post advertised it a year ago - or so I, in your world, would have believed.

The reason I'm asking is that I know it's possible, but I don't know if it will be included! That should tell you that I know the difference between freebsd and freenas.

I don't have the time or inclination to continue this discussion.
But JKH's comment mentions that it's not planned to be used in FreeNAS.... The blog post was talking about FreeBSD.

tofagerl

Contributor
You should really read the post you're quoting. I'm going to bed, it's past 11 here.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You should really read the post you're quoting. I'm going to bed, it's past 11 here.
I read it. If you're going to get all pissy while engaging in conversation, maybe you should step away for a bit?

Joe Gorse

Cadet
It seems that FreeNAS is moving toward Docker.

@Bernard Mentink - Can a portfile's action span over to a jail? there seems to be some need for provisioning jails, similar to Vagrant and other containers. I imagine this will also be necessary for Dockerizing a jail.

J

jkh

Just out of interest, would what he describes be possible in FreeNAS 10? Run images in docker as if they were complete machines with full root like jails, but without all the limitations of jails?
In other words, could I run a docker container on FreeNAS the same way I can run it on my mac right now?
Let me try to explain a couple of things that may help reduce confusion (or maybe not, but I can only try):
  • Docker is more than just a container format, it is also an ABI, which is to say that applications you compile against the Docker ABI and then ship *in binary form* will run on any "Docker Distribution" without, at least in theory, incompatibility issues.
  • The Docker ABI is based on the Linux64 ABI (it's a subset) and FreeBSD has, historically, only emulated as much of the Linux64 ABI as was necessary to run Flash and Java and a handful of other apps. Therefore, the "FreeBSD Docker" is not going to run 100,000+ docker containers anytime soon without a lot of concerted work on substantially improving the Linux ABI emulation. Think of FreeBSD Docker as more of a highly experimental demo of "what could be someday."
  • FreeNAS 10 will support Docker, though by proxying all of the requests into a boot2docker VM, which is a native Linux distribution and hence fully compatible with those 100,000+ Docker containers. FreeNAS simply saves you the hassle of having to know that by doing the proxy magic behind the scenes, so the user thinks they are running the Docker container(s) "On FreeNAS" but really running it in another, light-weight, VM context.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Let me try to explain a couple of things that may help reduce confusion (or maybe not, but I can only try):
  • Docker is more than just a container format, it is also an ABI, which is to say that applications you compile against the Docker ABI and then ship *in binary form* will run on any "Docker Distribution" without, at least in theory, incompatibility issues.
  • The Docker ABI is based on the Linux64 ABI (it's a subset) and FreeBSD has, historically, only emulated as much of the Linux64 ABI as was necessary to run Flash and Java and a handful of other apps. Therefore, the "FreeBSD Docker" is not going to run 100,000+ docker containers anytime soon without a lot of concerted work on substantially improving the Linux ABI emulation. Think of FreeBSD Docker as more of a highly experimental demo of "what could be someday."
  • FreeNAS 10 will support Docker, though by proxying all of the requests into a boot2docker VM, which is a native Linux distribution and hence fully compatible with those 100,000+ Docker containers. FreeNAS simply saves you the hassle of having to know that by doing the proxy magic behind the scenes, so the user thinks they are running the Docker container(s) "On FreeNAS" but really running it in another, light-weight, VM context.

Your second point and third point either conflict with each other or I don't get them.
Is Docker going to run 'properly' under FreeNAS10 or not? I got the impression it was going to?

I currently run Couchpotato, Sickbeard, Sonar (testing), Qbittorrent etc and for the most part these now run perfectly. I'd like to not only continue running them perfectly but run significantly more things.

J

jkh

Your second point and third point either conflict with each other or I don't get them.
Is Docker going to run 'properly' under FreeNAS10 or not? I got the impression it was going to?
They don't conflict at all - in one point I'm talking about the Docker port to FreeBSD, which just isn't particularly capable for the reasons I outlined. The second point outlines what we are going to do (have done, are doing) instead - don't use FreeBSD docker, use Linux docker to run linux apps in Linux containers (just proxied to a boot2docker VM, since FreeNAS is obviously not based on Linux).
That's all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stux

MVP
Can you pass a tuner though to a bhyve instance?

J

jkh

Can you pass a tuner though to a bhyve instance?
It won't fit:
Unknown.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.