Docker and freeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovizii

Patron
The forum search didn't yield any results besides some irrelevant posts to my question so here goes:

Can one use docker ON freeNAS? Can you use docker inside a jail?
Any feedback, pointers or thoughts on this?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Isn't Docker a Linux thing? FreeNAS runs on FreeBSD, not Linux. You could always install a VirtualBox jail, a Linux VM in there, and then use Docker to do whatever you wanted.

Alvin

Explorer
If I understand correctly, Docker is a popular management tool for LXC (Linux containers). The FreeBSD equivalent are jails. (Well, FreeBSD was first I believe, so Linux containers are the equivalent of jails, depending on where you're looking from.) So, the FreeNAS software you're looking at is Warden.
We only need to add a few features there...

ovizii

Patron
thanks, I know, its just that I found a few very interesting "dockerized" applications where it would only be a few commands to get them started with docker and I was keen to test :smile:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If I understand correctly, Docker is a popular management tool for LXC (Linux containers). The FreeBSD equivalent are jails. (Well, FreeBSD was first I believe, so Linux containers are the equivalent of jails, depending on where you're looking from.) So, the FreeNAS software you're looking at is Warden.
We only need to add a few features there...

Yes, phk was working on the jail stuff and released it around 2000 as part of FreeBSD 4.0. The primary problem was that it was more-or-less just a chroot() style syscall that went further, rather than an entire strategy for jail management, which is what Warden appears to be. But you could very easily build container-like jails and some of us did.

Status
Not open for further replies.