Do all Supermicro X10SL* boards support IPMI Virtual Media?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawly

Dabbler
Hi people,

which of the Supermicro boards support IPMI Virtual Media?
Because I could get my hands on a X10SLM-F but I'm not sure if it really supports mounting ISOs over the network and console redirection.
Since my Intel S1200V3RPS doesn't even support the Remote Management Module, which I had to find out just now after I bought the module...

Thanks!

ChriZ

Patron
AFAIK all Supermicros with -F in their model name support IPMI and in Supermicro's case it is "full" remote management, including KVM and Virtual media.

shawly

Dabbler
AFAIK all Supermicros with -F in their model name support IPMI and in Supermicro's case it is "full" remote management, including KVM and Virtual media.

Aight yeah, I wasn't quite sure since Intel boards also support IPMI, but only with the module and the RPS doesn't even allow the use of the module since the headers have been desoldered and the functions have been disabled.
But since I thought, f**k it lets do myself something good and I bought an X10SL7-F which I know supports virtual media, so my problem is now solved haha, thanks anyway!

ChriZ

Patron
Yeap, Intel is like Dell or HP...
They support IPMI, but in most cases you need the full ILO, or enterprise iDRAC to actually do what you want... Sucks...

shawly

Dabbler
Yeap, Intel is like Dell or HP...
They support IPMI, but in most cases you need the full ILO, or enterprise iDRAC to actually do what you want... Sucks...

Best thing is, since the Intel website is really confusing I actually contacted the support and asked if the S1200v3RPS really supports the RMM4 or not and the guy from the support said "gimme 1-2 mins I'll check that" and then he said yes it's supported...
In fact, even the Intel support itself got confused from their documents and he probably just saw, that the S1200RP family supports it, but not all the members of the family, which is prett hidden in a table where you have to scroll down to the very bottom of the page...

ChriZ

Patron
For me the worst thing is that people find Intel server boards which have ipmi support and cost a bit less than equivalent Supermicros, until they realise that they need to purchase the extra module.
The final cost ends up higher than the supermicro option.
It's almost intentionally misleading... grrrr...

shawly

Dabbler
For me the worst thing is that people find Intel server boards which have ipmi support and cost a bit less than equivalent Supermicros, until they realise that they need to purchase the extra module.
The final cost ends up higher than the supermicro option.
It's almost intentionally misleading... grrrr...

Yeah exactly what happened to me, but now I payed 70 bucks more and I now have 8 SAS ports and 6 SATA ports and full KVM and I can even use ESXi which wasn't possible with the Intel board since I'd have needed a second SATA controller for the datastorage since the onboard needs to be passed through..
But now all my problems are gone and so is my money haha.

ChriZ

Patron
Oh, can you passthrough the X10SL7 onboard LSI ?
Or you mean that you simply have more sata ports to add hard disks for the VMs and storage is in virtual disks anyway?

shawly

Dabbler
Oh, can you passthrough the X10SL7 onboard LSI ?
Or you mean that you simply have more sata ports to add hard disks for the VMs and storage is in virtual disks anyway?

If I'm not mistaken I can pass through the LSI controller, which is what I wanna do, but if it doesn't work well I'll go with the onboard one, still 6 ports I can use which is plenty and I think that if I put more than 6 disks into my Silverstone GD08, I might get some temperature problems. But I haven't even gotten my storage nearly half as full so I'll probably never need eight disks.

TXAG26

Patron
If I'm not mistaken I can pass through the LSI controller, which is what I wanna do, but if it doesn't work well I'll go with the onboard one, still 6 ports I can use which is plenty and I think that if I put more than 6 disks into my Silverstone GD08, I might get some temperature problems. But I haven't even gotten my storage nearly half as full so I'll probably never need eight disks.

Yes the onboard LSI controller on the X10SL7-F passes through just fine in ESXI 5.5 & 6.0. However, the motherboard's Intel chipset tied SATA controllers will not passthrough, but that is good, as you need controllers on the "outside" for ESXI, such as for booting and creating storage for your VM's (except for your ZFS pools).

shawly

Dabbler
Yes the onboard LSI controller on the X10SL7-F passes through just fine in ESXI 5.5 & 6.0. However, the motherboard's Intel chipset tied SATA controllers will not passthrough, but that is good, as you need controllers on the "outside" for ESXI, such as for booting and creating storage for your VM's (except for your ZFS pools).

The LSI controller does pass through, but I see no problem why the Intel chipset shouldn't, in theory I should just add the pids to the passthru.map and then I can pass them through, works on Intel boards at least.
But it doesn't really matter anyway since the LSI controller works.

Anyway I got my X10SL7-F yesterday and everything works fine at the moment, except I can't boot ESXi via EFI, but I guess this won't be fixed anytime soon.. But legacy BIOS works fine so I'll go with that, who needs EFI anyway lel.

BTW which IT firmware did you flash to your SAS controller? I flashed P20.00.04.00, but I'm not sure about stability, since P20.00.02.00 has been said to be very buggy and I'm not sure if I should flash P19 instead, which is said to be very stable, but FreeNAS will throw an error because the firmware doesn't match the driver version then.. But I could live with that (probably).

I've got to say, I really like this board and the IPMI is very cool, the only thing I need is an external fan controller, since the Supermicro can't control 3pin fans and even with the low-voltage adapters my server is way too loud.. Or maybe I'll get some PWM fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.