Diskpool Degraded state - disk removed

georgelza

Patron
so curveball my side.

I had 2 drives, /dev/sdd and /dev/sde that now and then throw errors (they each belong to different disk pools, running 3 way RAIDz1), they would normally clear themself and system just happily continues, nothing new on these 2 drives... was starting to think I need to buy some new drives and replace them...

Tonight, suddenly got an alert, drive thats never thrown errors failed, was removed by TrueNAS from the disk pool.

All my drives are Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD's...

so, ye, it seems i am immediately in for a new replacement drive... looking future planning, need to extend the space. do I replace with a 4TB drive... or a 9TB, knowing I will only use for now 4TB, with the idea to do some musical chairs on tis disk pool once all 3 HDD's are 8TB.

and then again, look left, expecting a problem at some point and something smacks you from the right where you did not expect it coming from.

Murphy at work.

G

georgelza

Patron
if i was to stick to a 4TB HDD

The Seagate Ironwolf comes in ST4000VN006 and ST4000VN008 models.

My disk pool is build out of ST4000VN008 models.
would there be a problem if I replaced the failed drive with a ST4000VN006

G

georgelza

Patron
Found this:
The main differences are the
VN006 spins at 5400rpm
VN008 spins at 5900rpm

and the

VN006 has 256mb cache as opposed to
VN008 has 64mb

G

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I doubt it will cause any notable change.

The reality of it is that the pool will slow to the speed of its slowest disk, so if the new disk is somehow not able to perform as well as the existing ones, your pool performance may degrade (probably hard to notice if it does though).

georgelza

Patron
Think these 2 models are so close.

Can we discuss the other question. My diskpool is based on 4Tb HDDs atm… I need to look at increasing the size. Can I start future planning by replacing this disk with 8Tb unit. Knowing I might only use 4Tb on it for a while.
G

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Can we discuss the other question. My diskpool is based on 4Tb HDDs atm… I need to look at increasing the size. Can I start future planning by replacing this disk with 8Tb unit. Knowing I might only use 4Tb on it for a while.
Sure, I have done that in the past with no issue. You just don't get to the additional capacity until all disks are upgraded to the new size (but it seems you understood that already, so fine).

georgelza

Patron
That’s my understanding also.
Thanks for confirmation.
This way can replace drive/restore resilience… but at the same time put 1 of 3 larger disks down… to be followed by a second and then a third at which point I can then grow the pool.
G

georgelza

Patron
Can find this drive : ST10000NM002G for pretty much the same price as: Seagate Ironwolf Pro ST8000NE001

Please Comment. See my signature for the LSI controller it will plug into.

G

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The Exos drives are used by others in the forum as far as I've seen, no specific notes on them.

I have no personal experience with those, so can't give much guidance.

georgelza

Patron
Hope someone can comment, but that 10 Tb exo is same cost as smaller 8Tb…

G

georgelza

Patron

sretalla, little update​

I decided to buy 3 x 8TB Seagate Ironwood drives. Diskpool:"tank", will play musical chairs and replace one drive, rebalance, then pull another/replace with larger, thus swopping out the bad drive and the 2 good drives/allowing it to sync between, giving me a double current size disk pool. with my old datasets on this pool, i have another diskpool ("bunker") based out of another 3 x 4TB HDD. I will move the dataset located on that also onto this ("tank") pool, then take the 2 good / old 4TB drives from this "tank" pool and that one and create a new 5 way RaidZ2 pool ("bunker"), followed by moving some datasets back onto that older HDD based pool, but based on Z2.

G

georgelza

Patron
once the drives drives arrive.... if I can ask you to help me through the process, would appreciate it.

G

georgelza

Patron

sretalla,​

does TrueNAS expect naming persistenace on device names.

aka, if i moved HDD's around on the cable endpoints patched into y controller, then their /dev/sd* will change, know some storage platforms don't mind as they ready physical params and then match that together based on sun headers and older storage platforms could not handle this change ?

G

sretalla