Degraded boot volume, Mirror shows removed but wont replace with new drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyinfitz1

Explorer
I had a mirrored USB boot drive fail. I physically removed it and replaced it with a new USB drive. Under "Boot Status" the drive shows "removed". When I highlight and hit replace it allows me to select the new drive. When I hit "replace disk" in the popup window I get a green message that states "Disk is being replaced". However, the boot status and error message never change.

Am I missing some steps here?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
You might try a reboot when the drive is showing as removed and try the "replace disk" again.
I'm just curious, but how did you determine which drive was failed?

flyinfitz1

Explorer
You might try a reboot when the drive is showing as removed and try the "replace disk" again.
I'm just curious, but how did you determine which drive was failed?

The drive showed degraged. I believe that was the term used on the Boot Drive Status window. Ill try the reboot and see whathappens.

flyinfitz1

Explorer
Just rebooted with the status of the bad drive as "removed". When I clicked the replace button and selected the new drive it gave me the same green message "disk being replaced" at the top of the screen. Is this supposed to be instantaneous? or will the resilver take a while?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Is this supposed to be instantaneous? or will the resilver take a while?

I don't know how much time this would take (and this surely depends on the number of boot environment stored on the boot drives), but I would wait for at least half an hour when using USB drives.

Last edited:

flyinfitz1

Explorer
Well I let it sit all day and came back after work, still same situation. the bad drive states "removed" and the boot volume is degraded. Time for fresh install?

tvsjr

Guru
IMO... back up the config, toss the USB keys, add a small 32-40GB SSD, install, restore config.

Status
Not open for further replies.