disk wipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfred Melvin

Explorer
The guide document say that the wipe button at the "view disk" screen should be used on a disk before discarding it. Is the disk still recognized by FreeNAS and usable as a volume?
Can you use this to erase existing data?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't believe you can wipe a disk that is currently in use. For instance, if you have a disk that is part of a zpool it shouldn't let you wipe it. The wipe disk is to simply erase any data that may be left behind on a disk that has previously stored data. The disk is still recognizable to FreeNAS and is usable to put a file system on(predominantly UFS or ZFS for FreeNAS) after the wipe has completed.

Alfred Melvin

Explorer
I'm in process of setting up the volumes for my NAS and and ask because "ada2" does not appear on the volume choices but is listed on the "view disk" list. Thought that maybe wiping the existing data would make this drive available to be used.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It should. Obviously you'll want to back up anything on the drive before the wipe.

Alfred Melvin

Explorer
OK, When I began this build I upgraded and reset the bios to defaults. I then set the bios to boot from the USB. The default setting for the hard drives is IDE.
So now that I have set the drives to AHCI all the drives are available for use.
Thanks for your help everyone.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not to be an "I told ya so" but the AHCI thing is mentioned in the manual :P

Alfred Melvin

Explorer
That was the reason I thought to check, remembered reading it at some point. So how does the FreeNAS software decide that ports 3-6 are readable even when the motherboard groups ports 1-4, and 5-6 together? Just a thought.

PS You told me so!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I have no idea. I know there is something odd with 2 of my Gigabyte motherboards when in IDE mode versus AHCI. It seemed 2 ports were disabled but I could find no documentation supporting this observation. I just dismissed it as a bug for my motherboard BIOS, but there may be a deeper reason since you seem to have had the same problem.

Just be glad you got it working. :P

Alfred Melvin

Explorer
noobsauce80,
You are listed as a senior member, where would I began if interested in posting pic's and info on my first FreeNAS build?
I'll be building case and system to match the red oak work station in my home.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There's a section somewhere for people to post pictures, price/parts lists, etc somewhere. I just tried searching for it and I can't find it though...

I've had this problem before and I can never find that section. Go figure! Anyone know where the "Builds" sections is of the forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.