Disk upgrade process

pedz

Dabbler
I have a RAIDZ1 pool with 5 4TB disks. It is currently way below 80% used. I bought 5 14TB drives and want to upgrade to the new drives. Since I have 5 disks, I’m wondering if I could shrink the pool to 4 disks, let that finish, then replace the 4 TB drive with the 14TB drive and add in the 14TB drive. Rinse and Repeat four more times.

This would keep the RAID happy and redundant during the whole process.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I’m wondering if I could shrink the pool to 4 disks
No, you can't do that.

If you want a pool with 4 disks, you'll need to build a new one and move the data over to it.

Please note that this forum recommends using RAIDZ2 (or 3) with disk sizes above 2TB.

You can do the replace of each disk in turn keeping 5 disks in RAIDZ1 (which we would frown upon as you'll be risking your data during a resilver).

You could also consider using all 5 of the 14TB disks you have to make a RAIDZ2 pool and moving your data over to it, which would be a perfectly fine configuration from the perspective of the forum.

pedz

Dabbler
No, you can't do that.

If you want a pool with 4 disks, you'll need to build a new one and move the data over to it.

Please note that this forum recommends using RAIDZ2 (or 3) with disk sizes above 2TB.

You can do the replace of each disk in turn keeping 5 disks in RAIDZ1 (which we would frown upon as you'll be risking your data during a resilver).

You could also consider using all 5 of the 14TB disks you have to make a RAIDZ2 pool and moving your data over to it, which would be a perfectly fine configuration from the perspective of the forum.
Thank you. This is a new system and I am learning. The "data" on the disk is all backed up and replaceable. I'm in the learn phase because eventually, starting over will be rather painful (but not impossible). At this stage, it is rather easy.

So, given all that, perhaps I should just start from scratch? Remove everything I have configured, remove the 4TB drives, put in the 14TB drives, and build things up from scratch.

sretalla