Can I shrink my pool when adding a drive with lower size?

peterge

Explorer
My sda drive shows unreadable secctors (Device: /dev/sda [SAT], 28 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors.)
I would like to rreplace the drive ASAP, but I do not need the space my pool currently offers. It has 14tb:
1705917823732.png

1705917838776.png

Is it possible to get a new 8tb drive and shrink the MIRROR to 7,X TiB to fit on the new drive? Or do I need to crerate a new pool, copy all data manually and reattach the 14tb drives to the new 8tb pool?

Is there a manual for this procedure? Or is it better to just get another 14tb drive?

Attachments

• 1705917798696.png
    1705917798696.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 27

NugentS

MVP
No
Create a new pool
Better to just get another 14TB drive

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is it possible to get a new 8tb drive and shrink the MIRROR to 7,X TiB to fit on the new drive?
Kind of, but it's a bit hacky. Detach two of the 14 TB disks, add the 8 TB disk as a stripe vdev, remove the remaining 14 TB disk, then add it back as a mirror of the 8 TB disk, then add another 14 TB disk as a mirror. You won't have any redundancy between the time you detach the two 14 TB disks and the time you finish re-adding one of them as a mirror, but you keep the same pool with the same data/settings/datasets/shares without needing to change any of that.

peterge

Explorer
Kind of, but it's a bit hacky. Detach two of the 14 TB disks, add the 8 TB disk as a stripe vdev, remove the remaining 14 TB disk, then add it back as a mirror of the 8 TB disk, then add another 14 TB disk as a mirror. You won't have any redundancy between the time you detach the two 14 TB disks and the time you finish re-adding one of them as a mirror, but you keep the same pool with the same data/settings/datasets/shares without needing to change any of that.
Kk, thx. But I guess I will just buy 2 4tb hdds from Wd and create a new mirror pool. 14 tb is way more space than I am using right now and 14tb disks are too expensive for private use.

Etorix

Wizard
With almost 7 TB used you pretty much need drives larger than 8 TB. Or multiple vdevs.
I'm not sure where you're aiming with 4 TB drives—and make sure these are nor SMR!

peterge

Explorer
With almost 7 TB used you pretty much need drives larger than 8 TB. Or multiple vdevs.
I'm not sure where you're aiming with 4 TB drives—and make sure these are nor SMR!
I plan to erase 5TB of that data…

peterge

Explorer

I plan to get two of these with cmr. There is one with smr for a similar price.