Pool Vdev Expansion Question

ropeguru

Dabbler
So I currently have a pool of 5 14TB drives as RaidZ1 and need to expand my storage. I purchased 6 new 14TB drives and wondering if these have to also by as RaidZ1 in the new vdev(s) or can I create 3 new mirrored vdev's. My original RaidZ1 was setup based off less knowledge at the time about duration to resilver when replacing a drive, so I was going to try and do better this time with the mirrored vdev's. But it appears that adding to the existing pool I have to do RaidZ1.

Or, should I go ahead and create a new pool with the mirrored setup, move data over, then tear down the original and add to the new pool?

Thoughts? I am sure there will be plenty.

danb35

Hall of Famer
wondering if these have to also by as RaidZ1 in the new vdev(s) or can I create 3 new mirrored vdev's.
They don't have to be in RAIDZ1, but the UI will complain if they aren't. But then, it will also complain if you add a six-disk vdev to a pool with a five-disk vdev.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
We need to know more about your use-case. After all, I would think this question is more about what makes sense, as opposed to what is technically possible.

ropeguru

Dabbler
They don't have to be in RAIDZ1, but the UI will complain if they aren't. But then, it will also complain if you add a six-disk vdev to a pool with a five-disk vdev.
Understood.. From looking at the UI when trying to add an additional data vdev, it is not allowing me to selct the mirror option. It is forcing a 3 or more disk RaidZ

We need to know more about your use-case. After all, I would think this question is more about what makes sense, as opposed to what is technically possible.

So this is more bulk storage for Plex and personal data files. Nothing high speed, just the occasional single large file transfer of videos in. My main concern with the current 5 drive RaidZ1 is the turnaround time for a replacement drive and the rebuild time if a failure occurs. Of course, that could be mitigated by just adding another 5 drive RaidZ1 and keep my 6th one as a spare.

Just looking for some other sanity check thoughts..

ChrisRJ

Wizard
My main concern with the current 5 drive RaidZ1 is the turnaround time for a replacement drive and the rebuild time if a failure occurs. Of course, that could be mitigated by just adding another 5 drive RaidZ1 and keep my 6th one as a spare.
I would strongly suggest to use the 6th drive now and go for RAIDZ2.

ropeguru

Dabbler
I would strongly suggest to use the 6th drive now and go for RAIDZ2.
Sounds good...

So I am looking at the screen now and am at the add vdev option, moved over the 6 drives, and, as someone mentioned, it is complaining that I am using 6 drives stead matching the 5 in the other vdev, but I see no way to make it Z2 vs. Z1.. Is it forcing a matching Z1 based on the original vdev?

This is my first time doing an expansion, so just making sure I am doing it correctly.

TrueNAS Scale 22.12.3.2

Attachments

• vdev addition.PNG
    vdev addition.PNG
    35.1 KB · Views: 50

ropeguru

Dabbler
So as an update to this...

I have created a new pool as RAIDZ2 and am currently sync'ing the data.. Once it is complete and I have the new pool completely shared and and working, I am going to rebuild the existing with an additional disk I am purchasing to also bring it up to a Raidz2.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and help me out..

Etorix

Wizard
I'm late to the party, but since your goal was to get rid of the raidz1 you HAD to create a new pool. It's possible to add any kind of new vdev in the pool next to a raidz1 vdev (at least through the CLI) but there's no way to remove the raidz1 after that, or to transform it into a raidz2.