SOLVED disk recognized as external drive but not as internal drive

raspino

Dabbler
I have a new 10TB hard drive that I shucked from WD external drive. When I install the drive in my server running Freenas 11.2, it is not recognized at all (all other drives are recognized although they are all smaller than the 10TB drive). (dmesg | grep -e ada )does not show the drive. However, when I re-assemble the drive as an external drive and plug the USB into the same server running FreeNAS, it is recognized. I have swapped cables and other "new" drives are recognized but not the 10TB drive to make sure the cables are not the culprit. I need help determining what may be wrong.

ethereal

Guru
i had a similar problem - formated the disc using windows to ntfs or you can wipe it using dd

or maybe it is because it has the 3v sleep feature ?

raspino

Dabbler
Thanks! Unfortunately, formatting to NTFS did not work. I need to look into the 3v sleep feature. I have no idea what it is but I will research to see if that can be fixed somehow.

tfran1990

Patron
On the power connector for the drive there a pin you need to tape off, i have seen some people remove the pin from the connector on the cable end.

Here is a link to what ethereal is talking about 3.3Vfix

raspino

Dabbler
Problem solved. I had an old sata adaptor which doesn't have the 3.v power disable feature which I used to connect to the drive and viola! It powers up now and I can see it. Thank you all very much!!