Discussion: Linux jails... Do you use them?

Keep linux jails?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Is there any chance of bhyve finding its way into FreeNAS? Those guys are doing some great stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I asked this question recently here: http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/any-plans-to-include-byhve-in-freenas.23057/

Dru's response was
Eventually. It won't be in the 9.x series as bhyve wasn't part of FreeBSD until 10.0. There will be a better idea of which features will make it into 10.0 once 9.3 is out the door.

I'm also looking forward to it, but I think we will have to wait a while.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Is there any chance of bhyve finding its way into FreeNAS? Those guys are doing some great stuff.
You know if you had searched for "bhyve" you'd have known the answer without having to ask it in a thread related to Linux jails?

ChrisTaly

Cadet
I know I am chiming in a bit late here but I do use jails. I figured out a bit late (just upgraded) that they are removed and I may need to roll back. I am assuming though that nothing will happen to my jails that are already in place. I use a FreeBSD jail as a webserver for my development projects on my network. I use a CentOS jail to package all of my software using various bash scripts to make the process easy with a few simple commands as well. Bottom line is that I think an option would have been the way to go and just dropping jails seems a bit unnecessary. They may not have worked for every purpose but they sure as heck work for what I need them for. Please reconsider adding them back or making it an option.

fracai

Guru
I think the ship has sailed.

If you want a Linux jail you'll need to make a VM or wait for bhyve.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
fracai is right. They are gone for good. They were hard for devs to deal with because of bug tickets. They were hard to deal with in the forums because they were broken.

It may have been something that was useful for you, but for the project as a whole they were a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.