Different Treatment of SMB on 2 Windows Machines

I upgraded Freenas --> TrueNAS

I have created an SMB share on the server. It can be viewed by both windows pro machines. One can write and create directories, while the other can only read.

The machine which can only read finds Truenas on the network and shows it as a computer. The windows computer which can r/w does not. When I set up the windows computer which can r/w TrueNAS asked for credentials, which I gave it.

When I set up the windows computer that can only read it never asked for credentials.

Same OS and Same Server, but very different results. Can anybody explain how I can get the windows computer which cannot r/w to do so? In particular - how to get TrueNAS to ask for credentials.

I know I am a noobie (though I've been running Freenas for 6 years), so please be gentle!

Thanks in Advance for any help!

-jamie

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I upgraded Freenas --> TrueNAS

I have created an SMB share on the server. It can be viewed by both windows pro machines. One can write and create directories, while the other can only read.

The machine which can only read finds Truenas on the network and shows it as a computer. The windows computer which can r/w does not. When I set up the windows computer which can r/w TrueNAS asked for credentials, which I gave it.

When I set up the windows computer that can only read it never asked for credentials.

Same OS and Same Server, but very different results. Can anybody explain how I can get the windows computer which cannot r/w to do so? In particular - how to get TrueNAS to ask for credentials.

I know I am a noobie (though I've been running Freenas for 6 years), so please be gentle!

Thanks in Advance for any help!

-jamie
One item that may give a clue is to verify who the Windows client is authenticating as. midclt call smb.status AUTH_LOG | jq may help.