Did I set this up right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthSeaPirate

Dabbler
Wondering why Windows is showing different sizes when they all come from the same volume with no quotas.

Shares.png

Here are my datasets
Is it good practice to do in this way?

Shares_2.png

Shares

Shares_3.png

I wouldn't worry about capacity reporting. Windows is guessing about space based on block size and file size. Movies - large files - are more storage efficient than music - small files - and Windows is calculating differently.

In my mind, you have too many volumes. There is no technical reason you can't do exactly what you did. I just like simplicity. Too many volumes and shares bugs me. Music, movies and TV shows are all 'media' in my mind and likely have the same retention policy and performance requirements; I'd put them all together. Surveillance is likely its own thing. Photos are likely their own thing; maybe combine those with Misc Docs. Games and Programs can likely be combined.

When you're planning out volumes, think about how the data will be snapshotted and replicated. If the snapshot and replication schedule is the same, combine. (Another consideration would be performance but, since everything you have is in a single pool, performance can be eliminated as a variable.)

Cheers,
Matt

SouthSeaPirate

Dabbler
Thanks guys!
Yes, they are datasets but also shares

Some places dont need all media shares
Spot on with pics
Lots of programs and lots of games so they kinda need to be separate as well, though, I do understand what youre getting at.

I should have also stated these are mirrored 8TB drives.
So theres my redundancy.
Tho I am concerned about how a replacement drive, or additional drive, or moving drives to another box will react. Everything I seen on this was ZFS2 or whatever it was.

pro lamer

Guru
Status
Not open for further replies.