DHCP Assigned DNS and Gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZarK

Dabbler
Hi!

I have a problem with using a DHCP assigned DNS and Gateway entries when I add an interface.

Is there anyway to set in static routes or global network config to use the dhcp assign values?

Seems like a bug to me.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I have a problem with using a DHCP assigned DNS and Gateway entries when I add an interface.

Where?
Why?
How?
With what?
How many?
Just kidding :D
We have a lot of really smart network guys and girls in here but,
they will need more details before you can get an answer.;)

ZarK

Dabbler
What details would help?

When I add an interface for DHCP, I have to manually add gateways and DNS in the Global Configuration for Networks.

Is there anyway to use DHCP assigned DNS and Gateways?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Why are you adding more than one dhcp interface? You should only have one default gateway for the system.

ZarK

Dabbler
If I have at least one static interface, the DHCP one doesn't pickup on the dhcp assigned DNS and Gateway settings.

If I set one interface up for DHCP assigned IP addressing, it kills the dhcp assigned DNS and Gateway.

I've had a couple builds where it would have been nice to leave these settings... dhcp assigned. Currently, I'm setting up one for my Son and if he drags freenas to another network at his friends place, it would be nice if freenas could connect to the internet using whatever settings their dhcp (typically router) sets. Most consumer routers with dhcp and dns forwarding auto register the host names into a local dns list. then all the users would have to do is type in \\freenas or http://freenas and *poof* dhcp majic.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
But you shouldn't have more than one interface on a subnet.

Why not just use dhcp on a single interface, and set your server with a static reservation in your dhcp server?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
No, I noticed this. The OP is on to something.

If you set up the interface to use DHCP from the console menu or whatever, sure enough, it seems to ignore the "default gateway" information provided by DHCP.

The OP is on to something.

I have had to manually add that information. I didn't investigate it enough to convince myself that it was a bug, but don't dismiss the OP so quickly.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I have been using a DHCP reserved address for a while now, with no issues. Unless it is something that has come up in 9.3.1....

If it is reproducible, report it as a bug.

Doesn't really change the viewpoint on the 'multiple NICs in the same subnet' side.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I have been using a DHCP reserved address for a while now, with no issues. Unless it is something that has come up in 9.3.1....

If it is reproducible, report it as a bug.

Doesn't really change the viewpoint on the 'multiple NICs in the same subnet' side.
Let me give you the setup.

I created a failover lagg interface a few nights ago, and configured it to use DHCP. Which it did. Successfully. But it did *NOT* set the default gateway, only the IP address. I had to manually go in there and add the gateway.

ZarK

Dabbler
Uh, yeah... Single interface, single network segment. DHCP assigned DNS and Gateway need to be statically set if you add and interface (with DHCP enabled or Static IP).

I do have a couple boxes where I have one itnterface on a 'SAN' subnet, while another (usually on-board realtek crabs) as a management interface. But those networks are pretty static and doesn't matter if I have to set IP's statically.

I am wanting to setup a mobile box to jump from network to network and would like to have the gateway and dns set dynamically.

Thank You, btw! Forgets me manners sometimes...

Status
Not open for further replies.