Determining ports of failed discs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren Yorston

Dabbler
I am receiving a system alert that my ZFS volume is degraded with one or more devices unable to be opened. It says sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.

When I look at the discs in "View Discs" only two are shown, I have 5 installed.

Is there a way to determine which discs have failed? ie. SATA port numbers.

I am running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011 running on a Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66Ghz with 4069MB memory.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The serial numbers are listed in the gui. Use that to replace your drives. Also get more memory so you run a supported system.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
When I look at the discs in "View Discs" only two are shown, I have 5 installed.
Really sir? That's odd. Please show us the output of
Code:
zpool status -v
as well as
Code:
camcontrol devlist

Darren Yorston

Dabbler
Actually I was wrong. I have only three drives attached.
initial error.jpg
zpool.jpg
camcontrol.jpg

Last edited:

Darren Yorston

Dabbler
I am getting this message now and the GUI is reporting I have no jails or datasets.

new error.jpg

Last edited:

Darren Yorston

Dabbler
After multiple reboots I can now access my share and the system alert is reporting the original error degraded message. Currently in the process of copying off data to a secondary backup.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
What you need to do is run the shell script (or my python version) that matches GPTID with serial #, then locate the failed disk that way and replace it. Be sure to follow the directions in the user guide carefully.

EDIT: never mind, just use the serial #s from the GUI to replace the disk that isn't listed.

Darren Yorston

Dabbler
Hey all. I am attemtping to replace the failed disc in my NAS. I am following the docs (https://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_storage.html) however there is no is offline button. As a result, as per the guide I have presumed the disc is already offline, I turned the NAS off and replaced the drive. Upon starting the NAS the new drive does not show up when I select View Disks. Any suggestions?

Darren Yorston

Dabbler
Update: I have been able to get the replacement drive to show up when I go to View Disks. The failed disk did not show up at all, not even in bios, so I am assuming it was dead. How do I add the new disk to the existing volume so that it can be rebuilt?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
[Storage] - [Volumes]; Select your Volume, then click "Volume Status" (in the lower section):
upload_2016-2-10_7-5-51.png

Select the appropriate drive; Click "Replace"; Select the new drive...
upload_2016-2-10_7-4-33.png

P.S., Give some serious thought to getting the correct hardware before you end up losing everything.

Darren Yorston

Dabbler
It didn't work, initially that is. Only two drives show in Volume Status. I discovered though that it appeared when I changed SATA ports on the MB. All works now and it is resilvering. I presume something has gone wrong with the MB. I am building a new system anyway, hence the reason I was trying to get my data off.

Darren Yorston

Dabbler
Having determined that one of the SATA ports on my MB was cactus I purchased a new board. I ditched the dead drive and went for a fresh FreeNAS installation utilising the remaining two good drives plus four new drives. When I boot the system I get a message that "this is a NAS drive and cannot boot". I am trying to boot from USB to install FreeNAS again. I am utilising a fresh download of the ISO and have burnt it to USB utilising ISO to USB.

Mirfster

When I boot the system I get a message that "this is a NAS drive and cannot boot". I am trying to boot from USB to install FreeNAS again. I am utilising a fresh download of the ISO and have burnt it to USB utilising ISO to USB.
Make sure your booting from the USB. Sounds to me like it is trying to boot from the Hard Drive.

Mirfster

Are you trying to install everything fresh, including wiping the data drives or are you trying to retain the data as well? Try booting without any of the drives attached and just the new USB stick to see if that a least gets you started.

You may have to wipe the drives, but not recommending that until I know that you do not have any data on them you are trying to maintain.

Status
Not open for further replies.