Destroy jail datasets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom7320

Explorer
Hi there!

Recently I upgraded from 9.1 to 9.2 without problems. I played around a lot with jails, created them, deleted them etc.... I ended up with many datasets under my Jails dir, even though I already deleted the jails.

My question is: what datasets can I delete safely without compromising still existing jails? I don't trust me to mess around with that since I still have a couple of jails I still need...

One more question: I have automatically created ZFS jail snapshots . What is the meaning of that snapshots. Can I also delete these snapshots?

THX!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Those snapshots are for future jails you may create. Do not delete it.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
You can delete the obsolete datasets and also the snapshots if you are sure that you will not need them anymore.

To be honest i don't like the way how it is named ... "jails/.warden-template-9.1-RELEASE-amd64-pluginjail" , "jails/.warden-template-9.1-RELEASE-amd64" ... maybe some shorter and unique name could be better and THEN store additional info (version, architecture, type) as an file inside the jail. Anyway this is just a cosmetic thing and i can live with that ^^

Tom7320

Explorer
Hi there!

Thanks a lot for your answers! Still I'd like to _understand_ how it works, what for are the datasets, snapshots and what happens if I delete them... Is there any kind of documentation that goes beyond the User Manual?!? How can I be sure that I won't need them anymore?

THX!

Regards,

Tom

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The snapshots created automatically by FreeNAS(Not ones you do manually or per your schedule) need to stay there. They do alot of the jail file administration. In particular I believe those snapshots allow you to have 1 copy of the files while having multiple jails that don't have to have copies of the whole jail. It's like 1 copy deduped to all the jails, but without the DDT tables.

Tom7320

Explorer
Thx for your answer! I still don't fully understand the way it works but i'll keep looking for documentation... ;-)

kraab

Dabbler
You can delete the obsolete datasets and also the snapshots if you are sure that you will not need them anymore.

To be honest i don't like the way how it is named ... "jails/.warden-template-9.1-RELEASE-amd64-pluginjail" , "jails/.warden-template-9.1-RELEASE-amd64" ... maybe some shorter and unique name could be better and THEN store additional info (version, architecture, type) as an file inside the jail. Anyway this is just a cosmetic thing and i can live with that ^^
Not sure this is so true, I have just removed an old jail dataset and it nuked my new jail dataset..

To be clear I had set \mnt\SSD\Jails originally but after a complete reinstall I had configured to \mnt\SSD\Jails_2. After removal of \mnt\SSD\Jails folder everything inside \mnt\SSD\Jails_2 disappeared except virtualbox.

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-17_2-44-8.png
    upload_2016-7-17_2-44-8.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 177
Status
Not open for further replies.