Denverton c3xxx out a while now, who has one, with Plex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I want to know if these suckers can transcode 4k?

https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/atom/A2SDi-8C-HLN4F.cfm
https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/atom/A2SDi-8C_-HLN4F.cfm
https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/atom/A2SDi-H-TF.cfm

They have 4,8,12 core and more models out there, but only some video codecs are multi-threaded. Furthermore you could be running plex in a VM, docker, or in a jail? (I think, still?)

https://ark.intel.com/products/codename/63508/Denverton

I know we have at least one member now using one, but not a lot to be honest.

enemy85

Guru
I don't have it, but I don't think so...
Plex current guideline is a Passmark of 2k for a 10 Mbps H264 file. 4K transcode would require at least 10-12k and that CPU is not that good... Different situation for a 4k Direct play

Last edited by a moderator:

diskdiddler

Wizard
Depends on the threading support for the transcoder and codec, also the denverton has a significantly better IPC over the old 2000 series atom.

Hopefully someone with the actual hardware can confirm for sure.

P.s please no offense, but the whole Passmark method of measuring performance, how the Plex developers push it, just doesn't seem a particularly scientific method.

Last edited by a moderator:

loch_nas

Explorer
Well, I don't think that the IPC of Denverton is significantly better than Avoton. It's actually slightly better. So don't expect wonders of Denverton.

sards

Cadet
I have the 8 core version which I use with Plex, but I don't have any 4K videos; all of my stuff is 1080p.

diskdiddler

Wizard

diskdiddler

Wizard
I have the 8 core version which I use with Plex, but I don't have any 4K videos; all of my stuff is 1080p.
How is the usage for transcoding 1080p?

Do you have any 4k TVs ?

diskdiddler

Wizard
I don't know if it's enough for 4k transcoding, infact I suspect if the codec is single threaded, no chance.

However I do hold hope that 4k HEVC / 265 transcoding to be possible, with room to move for FreeNAS on the 8 core model (but if I had to go 12 core, I would)

I refuse to buy until I can find an enthusiast who has picked one up, but since they only launched in Nov and so much holidays since then, I imagine they aren't common yet (heck, I'm not sure they're even on Newegg yet ...)

diskdiddler

Wizard
Me too also very interested to know :) Thanks!
I've come to realise I was wrong, the c3xxx doesn't have quicksync.
The only way it will do 4k is through sheer brute force and therefore, since the processors are low power and kinda weak, you're really going to be hoping for great multi threaded code.

Finally we have an amd low power embedded review (epyc 3000) and it's a very good chip. I'm praying for super micro etc to put out a board with this cpu.
(The 8 core epyc thrashes the best 16 core denverton in almost every single benchmark)

hungarianhc

Patron
Does anyone here have the 16 core version? For what it's worth, I just ordered the Gigabyte MA10-ST0 board. I'm intrigued by the 16 core Denverton CPU, the integrated 32GB eMMC for a boot drive, and the 10gigE ports (even though I don't yet have a 10gigE router / switch). I should get my board next week. Upgrading from a C2750 board. Staying at 32GB of RAM. I'm expecting a pretty significant bump in performance. Going from 8 cores to 16, and each core is much faster than those on the C2750.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Please keep us fully updated and benchmark if you can.

Love to know if sequential read and writes go up, how well you can run vm and jail's. Etc

How much was the board by the way?

hungarianhc

Patron
How much was the board by the way?
It was on eBay brand new for $849. Yesterday eBay had a 15% off deal (capped at $100 off) so I got it for $750.

diskdiddler

Wizard
It was on eBay brand new for $849. Yesterday eBay had a 15% off deal (capped at $100 off) so I got it for $750.
Thanks, not cheap!

Nice board, but frustrating price.

As I mentioned earlier, best guesses for a super micro epyc 3251 board with similar specs would be up to 250 cheaper, likely to be at least 150, the single core performance looks to be at least double. The multi core often faster too.

That being said, I'll probably end up buying the 8 core version of your board in the next 6 months if nothing is announced.

hungarianhc

Patron
Thanks, not cheap!
Nice board, but frustrating price.
As I mentioned earlier, best guesses for a super micro epyc 3251 board with similar specs would be up to 250 cheaper, likely to be at least 150, the single core performance looks to be at least double. The multi core often faster too.
I agree 100% with everything you wrote. I'd love an Epyc server, and that may be my next step in a couple years. For now, I live in a pretty small apartment, and this device is "hidden" in a fairly visible part of the apartment. Wife approval factor needs to be high. I.E. Low power, low noise. In a couple years, we will have likely moved into a house, and I can have my rackmount epyc NAS in a special spot :smile:.

In any case, my board got delivered today! Sadly, I don't think my RAM is there yet... so it might be a couple days before I put this thing together!

diskdiddler

Wizard
The epyc 3000 s actually low power and very capable of going in to itx systems in cupboards and what have you. Easily wife compatible.

I believe qnap started using regular desktop ryzen for some of their high end nas, I bet they would love to switch to this product.

Regardless, love to see a big write-up on yours, I'd also love one of those, it's where I'm going if and dont deliver

hungarianhc

Patron
The epyc 3000 s actually low power and very capable of going in to itx systems in cupboards and what have you. Easily wife compatible.
Oh I know!!! I would have rather gone w/ AMD Epyc Embedded ITX mobo / cpu combo. They just don't exist yet. What would you like to see about my board? Both the RAM and CPU came yesterday - so I can get it all set up probably tonight, if I have time. If not tonight, then tomorrow.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Oh I know!!! I would have rather gone w/ AMD Epyc Embedded ITX mobo / cpu combo. They just don't exist yet. What would you like to see about my board? Both the RAM and CPU came yesterday - so I can get it all set up probably tonight, if I have time. If not tonight, then tomorrow.
Just your general feel - how much utilisation is there if you fire up a VM (or two) - did you see any sequential read / write changes. Is it more responsive in the UI in any manner.

etc

hungarianhc

Patron
Just your general feel - how much utilisation is there if you fire up a VM (or two) - did you see any sequential read / write changes. Is it more responsive in the UI in any manner.
etc
Will do all of those SOON! Right now, dealing with this... If you have pointers, I'd love your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.