Dell T5500 Power Supply Issue

MTScott

Cadet
I'm not running TrueNAS (yet), but I do have a Dell T5500, and a T3500. The T5500 was intended to be my small personal cloud(ish) environment. At the moment I'm just running fedora, and NextCloud... the intent was to eventually use it for NAS but I have much to learn there. Everytime I google issues on these machines, I end up on this forum, so I figured I might as well register as the best info for these tanks seems to be here.

Anyway, it has been running for about 6 months now, but when I attempt to power it on The green 1 and 3 lights flash, along with the orange power button. From the Dell documentation it is saying it is a PSU failure, or possibly a cable short (or maybe a bios battery??? who knows). This actually happened once before, and it somehow healed itself, but it doesn't appear to be doing so now. It is hooked up to a smaller UPS as is the T3500. At times the UPS has screamed foul with loud beeping. I'm guessing the UPS was not able to keep up with the wattage demands of both machines. I also recently had a power outage, and the UPS kept both machines up, but I'm wondering if a voltage drop over taxed the power supply in the tower and caused some damage.

I happened to find another complete T5500 on ebay for $90 shipped, so I just ordered it, for parts if nothing else. I may try to just swap the PSU, but if the issue lies somewhere else, I could be looking at just swapping drives into the new T5500 along with memory and such... which brings me to my next question - I have a mirrored raid array of 2 mechanical 2TB drives, and my boot drive is a 1TB SSD. If I swap the RAID drives into the new machine, will it be able to pick up that it is a raid array? If not can I just configure the 2 drives as a new raid array and expect it to work? The existance of a RAID array exists on the BIOS correct? ...or does it store something on the drives themselves?

MTScott

Cadet
Just following up on my old garbage here... I swapped in the PSU from the parts machine, and it solved the problems. Apparently the PSU had just failed.