Dell Server PowerEdge T620 good candidate ?

Dasist

Cadet
Hello,

I am quite very new to TrueNAS in general, and I am trying to find a new platform to move away from my very old Synology as space is limited and price for the newer versions can be quite high.
On a second hand online shop where I live there is a Dell PowerEdge T620 with the following specs:
  1. Processor: 2x Intel Xeonr E5-2690
  2. 128 GB ECC DDR3
  3. 12x Bay 3.5HDD (not included)
  4. No further customization from the original T620
Now, I've read the recommended hardware part where it mentioned an IT flashed HBA card like LSI 9200 and such.
I would believe I would have to replace something in that server with such a card to make it work as it should with TrueNAS Scale.
Would that be a correct assumption?
Would there be any other things that I would need to think about to make TrueNAS Scale work as expected?

The expected usage of the server would be files and media storage, and content streaming up to 2 streams at a time. No other use case.

Thank you!

beagle

Explorer
The Dell 12th generation (x20 models) usually come with a H310 or H710 controller.

The H310 can be flashed to IT mode. Or you can swap for a Dell HBA330, if you prefer to keep within the Dell ecosystem, or a LSI HBA in IT mode.

As far as I remember the H710 can't be flashed to IT mode, therefore is not recommended.

Dasist

Cadet
The Dell 12th generation (x20 models) usually come with a H310 or H710 controller.

The H310 can be flashed to IT mode. Or you can swap for a Dell HBA330, if you prefer to keep within the Dell ecosystem, or a LSI HBA in IT mode.

As far as I remember the H710 can't be flashed to IT mode, therefore is not recommended.
Thanks so overall it's a safe bet to run TrueNAS Scale on it just need to care about the controller.