Dell r730xd fan control fix

jbeez

Dabbler
I recently procured a Dell Poweredge R730xd to be a baremetal TrueNas scale host. I ran into some issues, and came up with some solutions, I hope this helps someone on here.

#1 issue... the fans! I've come to learn that Dell decided if you are running the HBA and not a raid controller, it doesn't know what the hell is going on with the drives so it just cranks the fans to 43% as soon as you put one disk in that front bay. How annoying.
There is a fix, it seems to be working great for me, I have modified it slightly from the original found here.

Since I run this script directly on my TrueNas install, it accesses ipmi directly and I don't need the remote username/password. You can find my copy here. I added a cronjob in the TrueNAS ui to run this every 5 minutes.

I don't have third party cards in my server, but there's another setting you may need that deals with that specifically. It's around if you search so I won't repeat how to do that.

#2 I couldn't get my remote console into iDrac working. This is just me not being familiar with the Dell iDrac configuration. Basically, in the iDrac config, goto the Virtual Console configuration, change Plug-in Type to HTML5. Smooth sailing.

#3 SataDom power. This is again, me not being familiar with the platform... Apparently the SataDom power is going to be tough to setup on these, unless you get the right SataDOMs. I sourced some innodisks from ebay that had TWO of them wired together into one "TBU" connector. It's smaller than a standard 4 pin motherboard molex. It took me 3 satadom purchases before finding these. The real issue here is sourcing this wire, if someone sold these wires, a lot of satadoms would be viable.
IMG_4169.jpeg

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Apollo

Wizard
@jbeez (your avatar picture gives me the creep), beyond that, related to the SataDOM, I would suggest finding what markings are on the connectors.
Can you make macro like picture of the connectors markings?
Those should be somewhat readily available as individual connectors. It will be up to you, or possibly easier to find cross reference matches and compatible solutions.
If not knowing the xact pitch and shape of the interconnect should help (still need proper close up pictures).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
your avatar picture gives me the creep
Whaaa? It's just Kabosu, she's been everywhere for the past decade-something.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
You can find my copy here.

This just points to a nonexistent URL - did you mean to attach a file? .sh files will be screened out, you could link a Github, attach the file as a .txt, or even create this as a Resource link.

much avatar, so image

Apollo

Wizard
Whaaa? It's just Kabosu, she's been everywhere for the past decade-something.
I know, but there is something in the eyes I just can't explain.

jbeez

Dabbler
This just points to a nonexistent URL - did you mean to attach a file? .sh files will be screened out, you could link a Github, attach the file as a .txt, or even create this as a Resource link.

much avatar, so image
It was a .sh, thank you for pointing that out. I just went up a level and goes right to the repo I have it in on my github.

jbeez

Dabbler
@jbeez (your avatar picture gives me the creep), beyond that, related to the SataDOM, I would suggest finding what markings are on the connectors.
Can you make macro like picture of the connectors markings?
Those should be somewhat readily available as individual connectors. It will be up to you, or possibly easier to find cross reference matches and compatible solutions.
If not knowing the xact pitch and shape of the interconnect should help (still need proper close up pictures).
Not even sure how to get the pitch, this is an existing closer pic I took of the motherboard side next to the WRONG connector that doesn't fit(standard molex). but of course the sata doms have a very tiny 3 or 4 pin, thin white plug/connector on them as well. I should be able to get closer pics of both sides of that cable. What's most useful is what I have installed currently, ONE TBU motherboard side, and TWO connectors for satadom both coming out of the same connector. Those wires must be ~28awg, super tiny.
1683910436241.png

Apollo

Wizard
Not even sure how to get the pitch, this is an existing closer pic I took of the motherboard side next to the WRONG connector that doesn't fit(standard molex). but of course the sata doms have a very tiny 3 or 4 pin, thin white plug/connector on them as well. I should be able to get closer pics of both sides of that cable. What's most useful is what I have installed currently, ONE TBU motherboard side, and TWO connectors for satadom both coming out of the same connector. Those wires must be ~28awg, super tiny.
View attachment 66592
I couldn't find relevant information regarding the J_TBU connector. I doubt it is a standard Molex header. See if you can find any markings on the outside of the header.

jbeez

Dabbler
Took a few pics earlier, sorry for giant pics, posting from my phone. I didn’t see any markings. I know it can be used for an optical drive too

IMG_4174.jpeg
IMG_4177.jpeg

Apollo

Wizard
Took a few pics earlier, sorry for giant pics, posting from my phone. I didn’t see any markings. I know it can be used for an optical drive too

View attachment 66600
I think the following link could be a match:

Measuring the pitch (center pin to adjacent center pin distance) would help properly identify the series.
If you download the datasheet, you can compare with the dimensions of the part.

PS: The crimp contacts need to be added.
You could request free samples from Molex to try them out, for the connectors and crimps.

I will need to look up the white connector.

Sourii415e

Cadet
I recently procured a Dell Poweredge R730xd to be a baremetal TrueNas scale host. I ran into some issues, and came up with some solutions, I hope this helps someone on here.

#1 issue... the fans! I've come to learn that Dell decided if you are running the HBA and not a raid controller, it doesn't know what the hell is going on with the drives so it just cranks the fans to 43% as soon as you put one disk in that front bay. How annoying.
There is a fix, it seems to be working great for me, I have modified it slightly from the original found here.

Since I run this script directly on my TrueNas install, it accesses ipmi directly and I don't need the remote username/password. You can find my copy here. I added a cronjob in the TrueNAS ui to run this every 5 minutes.

I don't have third party cards in my server, but there's another setting you may need that deals with that specifically. It's around if you search so I won't repeat how to do that.

#2 I couldn't get my remote console into iDrac working. This is just me not being familiar with the Dell iDrac configuration. Basically, in the iDrac config, goto the Virtual Console configuration, change Plug-in Type to HTML5. Smooth sailing.

#3 SataDom power. This is again, me not being familiar with the platform... Apparently the SataDom power is going to be tough to setup on these, unless you get the right SataDOMs. I sourced some innodisks from ebay that had TWO of them wired together into one "TBU" connector. It's smaller than a standard 4 pin motherboard molex. It took me 3 satadom purchases before finding these. The real issue here is sourcing this wire, if someone sold these wires, a lot of satadoms would be viable.
View attachment 66583

Hope this helps!
I had to do the original Cron Job, but your information helped me a lot. Thank you for sharing this. I went from Ears attempting to bleed with the door shut to the room this server is in, to quiet enough you can no longer hear fan whine, even in the room this server is in. 6 months later your post is still helping people.