dell r710 perc h700 in jbod mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kr55

Dabbler
Hi, I just wondered if anybody had configured a dell server in jbod mode? specifically in my case an r710 server with perc h700 and 6 x 3tb sas disks.

I can't see an option for the mode in the raid config..has anybody set something similar up please?

Hi, I just wondered if anybody had configured a dell server in jbod mode? specifically in my case an r710 server with perc h700 and 6 x 3tb sas disks.

I can't see an option for the mode in the raid config..has anybody set something similar up please?

I will answer, even though it is a month late; The H700 does not have a JBOD configuration. If you wish to use a JBOD (which I did) then you must configure Virtual Disks at RAID0 for each independent physical disk. I have not noticed a performance decrease but I need to run some benchmarks after I fully configure to be sure.

Kevin

kr55

Dabbler
I will answer, even though it is a month late; The H700 does not have a JBOD configuration. If you wish to use a JBOD (which I did) then you must configure Virtual Disks at RAID0 for each independent physical disk. I have not noticed a performance decrease but I need to run some benchmarks after I fully configure to be sure.

Kevin

Hi Kevin, no problem..thanks for taking the time to reply! I was having issues with my system due to a faulty H700 and i've had much better results since dell replaced it. I didn't go down the route of RAIDing the disks individually, so i'd be interested in how your benchmarking goes, especially if you get a performance increase!

Kevin

@kr55

I am wondering how the H700 ended up working out as I have used one in a dell2950 and am seeing some interesting results... performance seems ok... but since I striped each disk as a volume, I am seeing errors.

Thanks in advance
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.