Dell FS12-TY C2100 data transfer optimizations?

Daisuke

Contributor
Hi,

I need some advice related to achieving faster connectivity to my Mac Pro 2010. I currently have installed a Sonnet Allegro USB3C-2PM-E which acts as USB 3.2 or USB-C 10Gb connection. Mac Pro 2010 has 2x1Gb network cards, The NAS will be connected to the router, which is also connected to the Mac. So technically, I could enable two network connections between Mac and NAS, but I will never achieve 10Gbit/s speeds.

The bottleneck is obviously the router, which supports only 1Gb port speeds. I could install a Mezzanine JPYNN 10Gb into C2100 and a 10Gb network card into Mac. Can I initiate direct connections between Mac and NAS? What other alternatives I have to speed the transfer rates between NAS and my Mac only?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I highly recommend looking at the 10 Gig Networking Primer.

The way that is most likely to be drama-free and work as closely as you might expect is simply to upgrade your network to 10G.

Put a Chelsio T520-CR into your FreeNAS. This is a card iX has used in the past as their preferred card - not sure what they do today, but the FreeBSD driver is perfect for NAS. These seem to run around $100-$150 on eBay.

I honestly don't know what card would work best in your Mac. There will be a fanboi site somewhere dedicated to the topic, I expect.

I haven't laid hands on this, but I have played with its bigger brother, and I think it's ideal for a hobbyist/homelab. The MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+IN is a tiny fanless 4 SFP+ port 10G switch that's cheap and, if it is like its bigger brother, works very well. Currently selling for around $125. MikroTik hit all the points. It has a built-in 1G port for connection to an existing network. Four 10G ports is enough for a NAS and a few hosts or a small ESXi lab. It's a brilliant product at an incredible price point. It's the little things that are crazy... like it'll take redundant power...(!!!!!) It's full of features and can act either as a dedicated switch, or you can run RouterOS on it (not particularly speedy, but for $125 what can you expect?)

The upside to this is that you can just add 10G capabilities to your existing network without messing around.