Deleting a "Zombie Pool"

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I recently created myself a "Zombie Pool" by yanking out a temporary USB disk I had attached to do a backup/restore, but hadn't exported from the GUI before destroying at the CLI.

This results in the GUI thinking the pool still exists, but isn't currently available, so it remains in the list showing as Unavailable/Offline and there's no option in the GUI to remove it at that point.

So a quick bit of remembering about @danb35 's creating a degraded pool resource gave me a clue about how to approach it (without futzing around getting the USB disk back out and reconnecting it... which for the sake of this exercise we'll pretend is just lost or something, not easily within reach and I'm just too lazy to do it as "facts" would indicate)

So what we'll do is create a "fake" pool with the same name and then export it from the GUI.

First create a sparsefile of the same size (doesn't matter as it's sparse and won't take any real amount of space):
truncate -s 1T /root/sparsefile

Then create your pool (in my case called tmp... make sure to match the name of the Zombie here /mnt X ):
zpool create -f -m /mnt tmp /root/sparsefile

Then go to the GUI and disconnect/export it. (doesn't matter if you select to wipe or not, don't bother)

Then you can remove the no longer needed sparsefile:
rm /root/sparsefile

EDIT: this process works on both TrueNAS CORE and SCALE

Last edited:

tutugreen

Cadet
I ran into the same problem.

Web UI stuck for a long time during pool disconnect.
The new tab shows "Connecting to TrueNAS ... Make sure the TrueNAS system is powered on and connected to the network.".

The console not responding to any key except ctrl alt del, the system seems "try" to restart, but failed to unmount some "log" again and again (If I remember correctly). After 5min later, I issued a "hard" reboot, the unwelcome zombie pool appear, can't do anything in UI.

Now I can see why this is an RC version.

Thanks for your guide! It works!

TangYao14

Cadet
Thanks! its worked! i been looking this for days!Can I reprint it to another website?just for share,And I will indicate the source and address

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

runevn

Explorer
Then create your pool (in my case called tmp... make sure to match the name of the Zombie here /mnt X ):
zpool create -f -m /mnt tmp /root/sparsefile
Thanks for the guide. However, I run into trouble on this command.

It return the following:
Code:
root@nas[~]# zpool create -f -m /mnt storagepool /root/sparsefile
mountpoint '/mnt' exists and is not empty use '-m' option to provide different default.

storagepool is an old pool and is still at the /mnt/storagepool mount point.

Any help is highly appreciated.

sretalla