dRAID support in TrueNAS Scale (GUI)

beardmann

Cadet
Hi there

Since OpenZFS version 2.1 there has been support for dRAID, and it is possible to create a dRAID pool from the command line with TrueNAS Scale.
In my setup with 18TB disks I really like the idea of dRAID faster resilver times compared to regular raidz.
(yes I know that someone will tell me that mirrors or small raidz is the way to go, but still I like dRAID better)

Yet my manually created dRAID it is not recognized as a zpool by the GUI... I tried to export it from the command line, and was able to import it via the GUI, yet it is shown as a "FILESYSTEM" type... I was able to create datasets etc..
I then tried the bleeding edge 22.12 Beta 1, but sadly same issue here.

Can anyone tell me if/when dRAID will be supported in the GUI?

And is this just cosmetics? Or are there other aspects of TrueNAS that will be broken because TrueNAS doesn't see the pool corectly?

A plan could be to just run the stable version of TrueNAS Scale, and live with the "broken" GUI, and wait for support in the GUI?

/B

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Yet my manually created dRAID it is not recognized as a zpool by the GUI... I tried to export it from the command line, and was able to import it via the GUI, yet it is shown as a "FILESYSTEM" type... I was able to create datasets etc..
I then tried the bleeding edge 22.12 Beta 1, but sadly same issue here.

Can anyone tell me if/when dRAID will be supported in the GUI?
I have no idea what you expect to see there, but in my experience, a dataset is FILESYSTEM and a ZVOL is VOLUME. I don't see how DRAID would impact that at all.

What does the GUI show in the Status for that pool?

beardmann

Cadet
I have no idea what you expect to see there, but in my experience, a dataset is FILESYSTEM and a ZVOL is VOLUME. I don't see how DRAID would impact that at all.

What does the GUI show in the Status for that pool?
Well with a draid you do not see the "structure" of the zpool... ie. the disk layout etc.. and if you look under disks you will see all your disks in the draid with a "N/A" as the pool they belong to... creating volumes and datasets works just as normalt, but I am asking if using the draid will cause problems in other locations in the web GUI...?

Arwen

MVP
Probably these won't work:
  • Failed disk reporting
  • Disk replacement
  • Adding vDev, (like a special for metadata)
Basically anything at the pool level likely won't work.

I would not blame iXsystems for delaying implementation of dRAID. It's such a new & rather complex feature compared to others, that taking 6 months or a year to implement full support in the GUI would be reasonable, to me.