Deleted post regarding Freenode channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

m0nkey_

MVP
Can I ask why my post regarding a social FreeNAS channel was deleted?

Since when has it been disallowed to link to unofficial discussion, such as other forums (i.e. Reddit) and IRC chat rooms?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Can I ask why my post regarding a social FreeNAS channel was deleted?

Wow! I read your post earlier, this is quite shocking :eek:

Since when has it been disallowed to link to unofficial discussion, such as other forums (i.e. Reddit) and IRC chat rooms?
They didn't PM you or anything?

m0nkey_

MVP
They didn't PM you or anything?
Not to discuss, no. Just deleted saying that they don't want to funnel people into a new channel and that the current IRC channel serves as a off-topic area.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Not to discuss, no. Just deleted saying that they don't want to funnel people into a new channel and that the current IRC channel serves as a off-topic area.
Seems oddly protective of something that doesn't seem to be formally promoted...

danb35

Hall of Famer
Just deleted saying that they don't want to funnel people into a new channel
...which is pretty ironic given how spammy they were in promoting their new Facebook community page (and then locked the thread (edit: after deleting some of my posts) when I raised this exact concern).

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I ventured in to the #freenas IRC for a few and I must say, it's a slow night...
I must admit that it was my first time in a chat room so I don't really know what to expect :)

m0nkey_

MVP
I ventured in to the #freenas IRC for a few and I must say, it's a slow night...
I must admit that it was my first time in a chat room so I don't really know what to expect :)
It happens. IRC happens in bursts and the time it happens is unpredictable. Most just idle and will help out if and when they're able.

m0nkey_

MVP
...which is pretty ironic given how spammy they were in promoting their new Facebook community page (and then locked the thread (edit: after deleting some of my posts) when I raised this exact concern).
Why Facebook? Why not use the existing resources if they're concerned with funneling people?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yes, I think a few people raised that concern. After a couple of non-answers, they started deleting posts and locked the thread.

Redcoat

MVP
Yes, I think a few people raised that concern. After a couple of non-answers, they started deleting posts and locked the thread.
Did they drop the Facebook community page?

ovizii

Patron
Wow, thanks to this post (and sorry to hear your thread to deleted but at least you got a message saying why) I found the Facebook group announcement thread which I think is a total mess of a miscommunication. Not saying I'm for or against that FB group but that announcement could have been made way smoother if all parties involved would have communicated beforehand.

@m0nkey_ surely you've been around here for long enough to realize how these forums work? I'm quite new but even I figured out quickly this is not a democracy ;-) - not saying it should be, just conveying my impression.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I also note the inconsistency of the other thread having been locked for "hijacking", when the "hijacking" consisted of asking them to clarify just what the hell they were trying to do.

m0nkey_

MVP
Wow, thanks to this post (and sorry to hear your thread to deleted but at least you got a message saying why) I found the Facebook group announcement thread which I think is a total mess of a miscommunication. Not saying I'm for or against that FB group but that announcement could have been made way smoother if all parties involved would have communicated beforehand.

@m0nkey_ surely you've been around here for long enough to realize how these forums work? I'm quite new but even I figured out quickly this is not a democracy ;-) - not saying it should be, just conveying my impression.
The forums used to be fairly open. Rarely did a post get deleted or locked without good reason, such as spam, hate speech, etc. Things like links to other discussion were never touched. That changed earlier this year.

While I understand the reason to improve the forums, I find it alienates the more seasoned forum participants especially when some have been around for years.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

m0nkey_

MVP
I also note the inconsistency of the other thread having been locked for "hijacking", when the "hijacking" consisted of asking them to clarify just what the hell they were trying to do.
Indeed. There appears to be no clear direction. Rules appear to be applied ad-hoc. Questions go unanswered.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
@monkey, in your OP you didn't even acknowledge that I private messaged you to explain the reasoning behind removing the post from view and to show transparency. That is what many on the forums have asked for in the past, and I respect that wish unless it's obviously spam or extremely graphic. I can understand why you might feel frustrated about a post being removed from view, but this wasn't done behind your back or with malice. I messaged you privately, and I'd encourage you if you had a problem with my decision to try and reach out to me and explain the situation first before creating a post that spreads FUD. I like to think I'm a reasonable guy but I can't do much if people won't come to me to have an appropriate discussion.

There have been times that I've made a decision and the moderation team has come to me and said listen, we don't think this is the best way to do this and we end up reverting the change. The change wasn't reverted because they were moderators. It was reverted because they were forum members willing to have a friendly discussion and give some clear points. We aren't always going to agree, but I'll always do my best to try to listen and find an amicable solution.

@danb35 I'll try to explain it to you once more. The thread was locked because you became argumentative and very confrontational even after the OP explained his goal. I realize that may not have been your goal, but in type, all of your posts seemed quippy and pretty confrontational. All I've asked is that we show each other respect as individuals on these forums. Threads that become argumentative are pointless and devolve very quickly and it's part of the moderation team's job to ensure that doesn't happen if we see something going off the rails. I'll give some context so others know what we're talking about. The post in question was a new person at iXsystems that wanted to try a linked group so that we have an official discussion channel on Facebook. There are many people that will never participate in a forum but are more than willing to do a quick search and participate in a Facebook group. I don't see them as competing portals at all and our registrations are up year over year big time. I did explain to him that his OP was very confusing and gave him some tips on how to phrase his post in a better way.

In conclusion, I want to encourage you to just come to me and let's have a conversation. It's important to me to understand if you feel like the moderation team has made a decision that you don't agree with. Many times if enough people come to me and say, Josh, we really don't like this I'll even consider reverting the change. We won't always agree, but I'm more than willing to listen and try to find a solution. Let's just try to take a deep breath and do things the right way from here on out.

Thanks everyone,

Josh

m0nkey_

MVP
in your OP you didn't even acknowledge that I private messaged you to explain the reasoning behind removing the post from view and to show transparency. That is what many on the forums have asked for in the past, and I respect that wish unless it's obviously spam or extremely graphic. I can understand why you might feel frustrated about a post being removed from view, but this wasn't done behind your back or with malice. I messaged you privately, and I'd encourage you if you had a problem with my decision to try and reach out to me and explain the situation first before creating a post that spreads FUD. I like to think I'm a reasonable guy but I can't do much if people won't come to me to have an appropriate discussion.
@JoshDW19 I never received a private message in my Inbox. All I received was an alert that said "Your post has been deleted" with the following reason:
Hey Monkey. I appreciate the idea here but we really don't want to funnel people into a new FreeNAS channel. The current freenas IRC channel serves as a discussion / off-topic area just fine imho. Sorry but we have to take this down. Have a good one. - Josh
This was the whole reason for this post, to reach out and ask why it was deleted from view when the rules don't exactly disallow it.

The original thread was posted in off-topic and it was made clear it was unofficial and off-topic. It's just a place for FreeNAS users to hang out, discuss other topics that may be outside the boundaries of what might be considered acceptable in the current FreeNAS chat room.

I have suggestions for the existing FreeNAS chat room, but that is a topic for another discussion.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Monkey, it feels like we're just arguing semantics now. No, it was not a conversation as Xenforo calls it, but it was a personal message that went to you and only you. I felt like that was pretty polite too. I'd also like to mention that it is considered bad form in internet etiquette to take private messages and discuss them publicly when it was intended to be a message specifically for you. It feels like just another attempt to solicit FUD and be like "look at the mean things he did to me!", to be honest. I don't understand it based on how polite the message was intended, and I still don't think this is a productive way to try to have a discussion and institute change.

If you're referring to the rules post that is a set of guidelines and not an exhaustive list. For example, there's nothing in the rules that explicitly says don't make a physical threat against someone. Does that make it OK? Of course not. It's just assumed that people understand that. In the same way, I think everyone pretty well understands that a moderation team is allowed to make decisions that they feel are in the best interest of the community on the forums they moderate. I can add that to the rules though if you guys think that would make things more clear for the community. That doesn't mean that we're above the law, but it does mean situations will arise that aren't listed in the rules that will need to be handled on a case by case basis.

I'd like to suggest if you want to have a productive conversation and institute change, let's try to keep the discussion on what will actually make a difference. I feel like getting sidetracked trying to determine the legitimacy of what constitutes a private message dilutes the original point and doesn't help us reach an amicable solution. We may not agree, but I'm more than willing to listen.

Thanks!

-Josh

Zwck

Patron
Well, in the time of slack wouldnt it be wise to create either a slack channel or host an opensource alternative such as rocket.chat or even mattermost ?

Mlovelace

Guru
The forums used to be fairly open. Rarely did a post get deleted or locked without good reason, such as spam, hate speech, etc. Things like links to other discussion were never touched. That changed earlier this year.

While I understand the reason to improve the forums, I find it alienates the more seasoned forum participants especially when some have been around for years.

This is the reason I don't comment much anymore, stuff was getting changed, purged or locked for no apparent reason. I'll post occasionally to help someone out, but I no longer linger like I use to.

Status
Not open for further replies.