Degraded raidz2-0 disk offline cannot bring online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I'll do a Google search and see if I can flash this card but if not is there a recommendation?
As an experiment, I was able to flash my SAS 6/iR to IT mode, which doesn't mean anyone in this forum would recommend it. It depends on the chipset. The SAS 6/iR has an LSI chipset, but it's an old card with a 2TB drive limit and I have no reason to use it other than being too lazy to switch it out.

The IBM M1015 (or equivalent) is a favorite here.
Or just wait until I get a different server and use the HW RAID?
Surely you're not proposing using a HW RAID controller next time around? If so, you're missing the point, and should take a look at the basic hardware recommendations.

jkinning

Cadet
As an experiment, I was able to flash my SAS 6/iR to IT mode, which doesn't mean anyone in this forum would recommend it. It depends on the chipset. The SAS 6/iR has an LSI chipset, but it's an old card with a 2TB drive limit and I have no reason to use it other than being too lazy to switch it out.

The IBM M1015 (or equivalent) is a favorite here.

Surely you're not proposing using a HW RAID controller next time around? If so, you're missing the point, and should take a look at the basic hardware recommendations.

No, I do not plan to use HW RAID. How did you flash the controller card to IT mode?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
How did you flash the controller card to IT mode?
After a lot of Googling, I made my way to this:
SAS3081ER.png

1. made a bootable DOS disk
  2. copied the necessary files to it
  3. connected a USB floppy drive to a PC and booted from it
  4. ran the appropriate utility
I don't have detailed notes, so some experimentation may be necessary to repeat the process. I know I had to go back and forth with getting the right combination of files onto the floppy, because there wasn't room for the entire contents of the download.

rs225

Guru
Maybe I'm thick.

But as far as I can see, his first mistake we trying to replace a drive with his USB boot stick. Obviously, that won't work.

I don't know why he lost a second drive.

It looks to me that he didn't partition the replacement disk, which would then have a name something like mfid5p2 in the replace command, or be specified by using the rawuuid listed under the appropriate gpart list entry. Notice that camcontrol devlist shows 6 drives, but the gpart list only shows 5 partitioned 1TB drives.

It looks to me that he didn't partition the replacement disk
A new disk should be new, unformated/RAW, you shouldnt have to partition it for use in FreeNAS.
But as far as I can see, his first mistake we trying to replace a drive with his USB boot stick. Obviously, that won't work.
Where do you see he replaced his USB drive with a hdd?

rs225

Guru
When he tried to replace with da0. da0 is his USB stick(8GB).

I see there is a util called mfiutil. Does FreeNAS run this for him? Otherwise, he probably needs to have the RAID controller recognize the new drive as a new JBOD: mfiutil jbod mfid5 or mfiutil jbod 5. This assumes that 5 correctly identifies the 'new' drive. I suspect it does, since gpart list doesn't show an entry for mfid5. After that, the partitioning might be available in the FreeNAS GUI.

This command should make it easier to tell what is coming from the controller:
mfiutil sh0w drives
Also:
mfiutil show config

But if the mfiutil create jbod needs to be run, would the drive show up in camcontrol devlist, or is that some other sixth drive?

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
After a lot of Googling, I made my way to this: View attachment 8668
  1. made a bootable DOS disk
  2. copied the necessary files to it
  3. connected a USB floppy drive to a PC and booted from it
  4. ran the appropriate utility
I don't have detailed notes, so some experimentation may be necessary to repeat the process. I know I had to go back and forth with getting the right combination of files onto the floppy, because there wasn't room for the entire contents of the download.
P21? Ugh, and we had finally moved to the latest, P20... :rolleyes:

That's actually the SAS1 driver/firmware. Please disregard.

When he tried to replace with da0. da0 is his USB stick(8GB).

I see there is a util called mfiutil. Does FreeNAS run this for him? Otherwise, he probably needs to have the RAID controller recognize the new drive as a new JBOD: mfiutil jbod mfid5 or mfiutil jbod 5. This assumes that 5 correctly identifies the 'new' drive. I suspect it does, since gpart list doesn't show an entry for mfid5. After that, the partitioning might be available in the FreeNAS GUI.

This command should make it easier to tell what is coming from the controller:
mfiutil sh0w drives
Also:
mfiutil show config

But if the mfiutil create jbod needs to be run, would the drive show up in camcontrol devlist, or is that some other sixth drive?

If you need mfiutil, something's wrong. mfi is the HW RAID driver and it does not play well with FreeNAS and ZFS. For SAS2 devices, you absolutely need the mps driver.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

rs225

Guru
If you need mfiutil, something's wrong. mfi is the HW RAID driver and it does not play well with FreeNAS and ZFS. For SAS2 devices, you absolutely need the mps driver.

Maybe that is his problem; if you look at his gpart output, all the drives are mfi devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.