SOLVED Degraded pool resolved itself - dying drive or corrupted data?

Ok, so at work this morning I got a series of alarming emails from my TrueNAS box (see pool configuration in screenshot):
  1. 10:00 - ZFS device fault for pool storagepool on moi-truenas
    • The number of I/O errors associated with a ZFS device exceeded acceptable levels. ZFS has marked the device as faulted.
  2. 10:01 - Pool storagepool state is DEGRADED: One or more devices are faulted in response to persistent errors. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state. The following devices are not healthy:
    • Disk WDC_WUH721414ALE6L1 <serial-number> is FAULTED
  3. 10:23 - ZFS device fault for pool storagepool on moi-truenas
    • ZFS has detected that a device was removed.
  4. 10:24 - Pool storagepool state is ONLINE: One or more devices is currently being resilvered. The pool will continue to function, possibly in a degraded state. (this alert cleared alert 2.)
  5. 10:24 - ZFS resilver_finish event for storagepool on moi-truenas
    • scan: resilvered 1.36G in 00:00:13 with 0 errors on Wed Nov 8 10:24:20 2023
  6. 10:25 - cleared alert 4.
So, it looks like a single drive caused the pool to go through this sequence: I/O errors -> Degraded -> Device removed -> Online -> Resilvered.

Should I be worried that a drive is failing? Short SMART test came back normal, LONG one running now. Or was this a case of some corrupted data being recovered from the working drive in a mirror?

Here's a screenshot of the state of the pool when the I/O errors started showing up (now it's all back to normal - ONLINE instead of DEGRADED/FAULTED):

Screenshot 2023-11-08 101026.png

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Ok, so at work this morning I got a series of alarming emails from my TrueNAS box (see pool configuration in screenshot):
  1. 10:00 - ZFS device fault for pool storagepool on moi-truenas
    • The number of I/O errors associated with a ZFS device exceeded acceptable levels. ZFS has marked the device as faulted.
  2. 10:01 - Pool storagepool state is DEGRADED: One or more devices are faulted in response to persistent errors. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state. The following devices are not healthy:
    • Disk WDC_WUH721414ALE6L1 <serial-number> is FAULTED
  3. 10:23 - ZFS device fault for pool storagepool on moi-truenas
    • ZFS has detected that a device was removed.
  4. 10:24 - Pool storagepool state is ONLINE: One or more devices is currently being resilvered. The pool will continue to function, possibly in a degraded state. (this alert cleared alert 2.)
  5. 10:24 - ZFS resilver_finish event for storagepool on moi-truenas
    • scan: resilvered 1.36G in 00:00:13 with 0 errors on Wed Nov 8 10:24:20 2023
  6. 10:25 - cleared alert 4.
So, it looks like a single drive caused the pool to go through this sequence: I/O errors -> Degraded -> Device removed -> Online -> Resilvered.

Should I be worried that a drive is failing? Short SMART test came back normal, LONG one running now. Or was this a case of some corrupted data being recovered from the working drive in a mirror?

Here's a screenshot of the state of the pool when the I/O errors started showing up (now it's all back to normal - ONLINE instead of DEGRADED/FAULTED):

View attachment 72216
Normal dying drive sequence..... drives do fail (typically <1% a year for 1st 5 years). Reads or Writes fail and after a few times the drive is considered FAULTED.

No data is corrupted or lost because you have a MIRROR (or a RAIDZ vdev).