Degraded Drive Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

vilane

Dabbler
Running a 4+1 pool, had a drive fail SMART and go degraded. My SATA connections are maxed, so I noted the serial and prepared for the power down to swap. I double checked the webgui for the drive to be sure, I had no option to Offline the drive in question, only Replace. So I left it as is (potentially a horrendous error). Powered down and swapped hardware. Booted up.

Zpool pooped, like I figured it would. Could not manage the volume disks, only detach from webgui. So like a genius I thought maybe I can detach it, make the pool configuration updates to add the new drive in place of the other and reimport the pool. seems logical to me at least.

I'm now stuck with the volume detached. I went as far as a zpool import -fF to get it mount the pool for me. But I am not able to run a replace against the pool. I see the new drive (ada4) in my View Disks of the Webgui, but i do not see any listing for it anywhere in command line looking at zpools. if i look at a gpart list, i don't see ada4 anywhere either. I only see 0-5, skipping 4.

Am I missing something really obvious? I feel like if I can see the ada4 device and have it formatted for zfs, the zpool replace may work, but my system both sees and doesn't see my drive at current. I'm not sure what I'm not doing.

Sorry in advance if this is very noobish, and many thanks for any assistance

vilane

Dabbler
Am I correct see that status as being missing drive from the one I replaced and Faulted from another dieing on me after my prior exchange above?

maybeScrewed.jpg

vilane

Dabbler
well... i'm not sure what to think now. it's resilvering now and isn't showing any error flags... with the old drive.

zpool/vol still isn't showing imported/mounted in the webgui, but the zpool status shows it Online

UPDATE: oops. there it goes. faulted. again. only issue now is that I don't have the volume disks view to see the serial of the drive it shows faulted. is there a CLI i can use to return the serial of the drive from the gptid entry?

Last edited:

vilane

Dabbler
just updating as I go here. it is looking like I did remove the incorrect drive. I'm not sure why or how the drive listed as degraded for SMART failure on a different serial, but things are progressing after the above shuffle.

Currently running the webgui import volume, and it's taking a long long long time. easily 45 minutes so far, which seems promising maybe if the system is resilvering for a live spare? either that or the page froze. but a CLI run of zpool status is similarly just hung attempting to display output, so the import might just be chugging along intensely. Going to let it run overnight and see what the deal is.

thanks rs225 for the suggestions, hoping this straightens me out.

rs225

Guru
You may need to look at the console and see what it is doing, if it does not progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.