Defacto USB Drive Standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyronebiggums

Dabbler
I've been reading all over the forums and I see that the WD Reds are the defacto standards for hard drives, Crucial is the defacto standard for RAM, etc. but I haven't seen a consensus anywhere of what make(s)/model(s) are preferred for the 16gb USB drive for the software. I don't want to buy crappy ones from Dollar General or Big Lots so does anyone have any recommendations?

JDCynical

Contributor
SanDisk Cruzer Fit is a very popular choice around these parts due to a track record of reliability and small size.

Alternately, if you have the SATA ports to spare, a DOM or small SSD is also an option.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I've been reading all over the forums and I see that the WD Reds are the defacto standards for hard drives, Crucial is the defacto standard for RAM, etc. but I haven't seen a consensus anywhere of what make(s)/model(s) are preferred for the 16gb USB drive for the software. I don't want to buy crappy ones from Dollar General or Big Lots so does anyone have any recommendations?
I disagree. I think there is overwhelming consensus in the forums about the USB drive, especially if you reweigh the posts for the person's community experience.

The Sandisk Cruzer Fit 2.0 16GB (two of them for a mirrored pair) is the go-to recommendation.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FYNSZA/?tag=ozlp-20

diedrichg

Wizard
I disagree. I think there is overwhelming consensus in the forums about the USB drive, especially if you reweigh the posts for the person's community experience.

The Sandisk Cruzer Fit 2.0 16GB (two of them for a mirrored pair) is the go-to recommendation.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FYNSZA/?tag=ozlp-20
When you search for it, it's USB 2.0. The way you wrote it makes it sound like it's version 2.0 which hinders searching for them.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
When you search for it, it's USB 2.0. The way you wrote it makes it sound like it's version 2.0 which hinders searching for them.
Oh, that's interesting. I literally thought it was called the Cruzer Fit 2.0 this whole time. Right you are, it's called the Cruzer Fit USB 2.0.

Thank you sir.

Of course, I *DID* provide a live link, so, anyone that's confused about which drive I meant would have to have something wrong with their brains :) But yes, you are right.

diedrichg

Wizard
Oh, that's interesting. I literally thought it was called the Cruzer Fit 2.0 this whole time. Right you are, it's called the Cruzer Fit USB 2.0.

Thank you sir.

Of course, I *DID* provide a live link, so, anyone that's confused about which drive I meant would have to have something wrong with their brains :) But yes, you are right.
My confusion yesterday was when I was recommending this USB drive to someone. I found one of your previous posts, that I had tucked away into the back of my brain, where you recommended the Fit but didn't link it - and alas, a Newegg search without the word USB listed numerous items not matching the description of the Fit.

DaveY

Contributor
Perhaps cyberjock (if he happens to read this :) ) can add this to his "Hardware recommendations" sticky. Would have helped me with my USB drive purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.