Decibel Meter Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It depends on whether you're doing real engineering or if you're just looking for some rough approximation. The phone cr-app won't be super-accurate; every hardware platform is different, and the mic on your Samsung will respond differently than the mics the author used to develop the app. There aren't any promises as to how well it will work. Regardless, I carry an app with me on my iPhone because it's handier to have *something* than *nothing* (plus I suspect Apple probably has that issue less than random Android phones do).

I no longer play the A/V tech but I kinda expect that with the advent of modern technology, the meter you listed above is probably just fine, but you'd probably find audio pros using something more expensive. There's a specced accuracy of +/- 1.5 dB so it should be pretty reasonable for general use.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Was really just grabbing it to use as proof for how quiet the C2100/FS12-TY Servers are. Wanted to be able to provide some evidence to backup my talk. May just end up grabbing that and testing a phone app.

Thanks

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If you can find a Radio Shack 33-2055 unit out there they work pretty well and are accurate enough for what you want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.