Debian to TrueNAS

andybaran

Cadet
I currently have a Debian server with ZFS configured on hardware that is FreeBSD/TrueNAS. The boot drive is not ZFS and is connected via onboard sata. All devices in ZFS pools are connected to a seperate LSI 9211-8i. Once there is a stable TrueNAS 12 release I'd like to install it and ditch Debian. It appears as though it might "just work". What am I not thinking of ?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Hello,

The key words here are "Feature Flags" which can make or break compatibility between different ZFS implementations. TrueNAS 12 will be merging with the regular OpenZFS branch so it should support most everything - but have a look at the resource here that explains things and enumerates what's available in the different revisions.

You might encounter some other oddities such as TrueNAS being confused about where to put its system dataset and swap files - some manual massaging might be required afterwards - but I would expect the pool itself to import without much complaint if you haven't used some bleeding-edge feature on Debian.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Also note that permissions may be somewhat borked, due to differences in how Linux and FreeBSD handle ACLs in ZFS.